Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2018 Ballot Question 3 - Energy Deregulation

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Tom
    You have to look at more then just question 3 because it just tells the government to come up with the laws of deregulation so we don't even know the fine details. Question 6 is tied to what we will see in end rates as well. 6 should be a now as well as most of these ballot measures should be a no that tie them into the constitutions and are almost impossible to change or get rid of. Question 6 is worse then 3 as it will force the power companies to buy renewable energy no matter what the cost is. Its basically government welfare to these green companies so they can stay profitable since renewable energy affordability is still a lie even though were are going on 50 years of subsidizing the industry.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by Thedirtman View Post
    You have to look at more then just question 3 because it just tells the government to come up with the laws of deregulation so we don't even know the fine details. Question 6 is tied to what we will see in end rates as well. 6 should be a now as well as most of these ballot measures should be a no that tie them into the constitutions and are almost impossible to change or get rid of. Question 6 is worse then 3 as it will force the power companies to buy renewable energy no matter what the cost is. Its basically government welfare to these green companies so they can stay profitable since renewable energy affordability is still a lie even though were are going on 50 years of subsidizing the industry.
    Correct. The ads against 3 cite California as an example of why deregulation is bad. Complete distortion. California is about as far from deregulated ans anything could get. Instead it is hyper-regulated, including mandated procurement of expensive renewable energy, mandated procurement of small biomass (which makes no economic sense what so ever), mandated procurement of solar, and like Nevada, massive subsidies for those wealthy enough to put solar panels on their roofs at the expense of everyone else.

Question 6 is a disaster.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    All I need to know????

So you're voting yes to counter Sierra Club?
    Or you're voting no because a bunch of random political organizations say so?
    I know I usually vote opposite of Sierra Club and NAPSO.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Dylan
    Quote Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
    CA fucked up Gas Cans. They’re definitely not the example to look to.
    CA didn't fuck up gas cans, morons using the gas cans did. But back to the topic. It sure is confusing with all the data, and I love progress. However, with the status quo, I know what my bill will be tomorrow. I'm going to vote no.
    (1990 Cherokee XJ, $750, 323K, blown head gasket, bought Apr 2012, and the journey began, sold Oct 2018, fun times, now have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by BobF View Post
    CA didn't fuck up gas cans, morons using the gas cans did. But back to the topic. It sure is confusing with all the data, and I love progress. However, with the status quo, I know what my bill will be tomorrow. I'm going to vote no.
    You will know what your bill will be in either event. All this proposition does is allow you to choose who supplies the actual energy, and energy is only part of what you pay for now. Right now your monthly bill is the product of how much energy you consume times a bundled electric rate. That rate includes energy, the cost of building and maintaining the transmission and distribution system, NV Energy administrative costs NV profit and taxes and a few other things. You will still pay NV for "wires" services, including a "reliability" component. None of that will change. All that will change is that you can choose to get the energy piece from somebody besides NV energy.

The success of this whole thing rests with the PUCN because they have to figure out how to properly unbundle the existing rolled in rates.

The question that should definately get a NO vote is Question 6. Forcing artificial renewable procurement targets on the utility will definitely lead to higher rates.