Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are you doing for drives?

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Pete

What are you doing for drives?

When I bought the PC SSD drives were to small and costly to be practical.. A little while after that I bought two 250G SSD high speed (at the time) drives. Wow what a difference!

Problem is I only have 500 gigs of space.. and its used.. I own like 120 video games on steam and I only have space to install just a few at a time, which is fine most of the time.. Until I want to try out new games or revisit an old game then I have to pick which games get uninstalled to make room..

New setup in process
    Raid 0 = 2 X 250 Gig SSD= OS and drive intensive apps
    Raid 0 = 2 X 500 gig (even faster) SSD = Games only
    SATA HHD 1 tb ... data and other apps..

I'm waiting for the new sdd data and power cables, I'm currently running a licensed to me version of win7 ultimate.. After years of bitching about horrible win 8 and 10... I've finally come to accept 10 and quirks. Now I have to decide which version of Win10 home,ulimate, pro... I can get working copies of all of them

I'm only gaining 250 gigs of game space, but I'm freeing 1.25 terabytes to store other stuff in.. and if I need I can throw a few gams on the OS SSD;s

CaseNZXT Phantom 240 Gaming Case - White
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i5-4690K Processor (4x 3.50GHz/6MB L3 Cache) - Intel Core™ i5-4690K
    MotherboardMSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition -- 2x PCIe x16, 4x USB 3.0, 2x USB 2.0
    Memory16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Certified Major Brand Gaming Memory
    Video CardNVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 - 2GB - [FREE Upgrade to GTX 960 4GB]
    Case LightingNone
    Power Supply500 Watt - Standard 80 PLUS Bronze - *Free Upgrade to 600W Standard 80 PLUS Bronze
    Processor CoolingAsetek 510LC 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler - Standard 120mm Fan
    Primary Hard Drive128 GB ADATA SP900 SSD - Single Drive *Free Upgrade to 120GB Kingston V300 SSD*
    Data Hard DriveNone
    2nd Optical DriveNone
    Optical Drive24x Dual Layer DVD Rewriter Combo Drive - Black -- *Free Upgrade to 14X LG Blu-ray Re-writer*
    Sound Card3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
    Speaker SystemNone
    Should be fun once its up and running...

Also upgraded whole internet from modem to router and even NIC. WIFI is now all AC1200 with a increase of the double end speed around 70mb, service is 180mb.
    “The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” -Carlos Castaneda

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Pete
    Another upgrade some kick ass speakers

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    “The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” -Carlos Castaneda

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Pete
    Did I seriously just purchase windows 10 home for $5?

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Derek
    Looking at your setup I wouldn’t be too concerned with speed. You can get a few 7200rpm spindle drives in a raid 5 and do just fine if the case allows it. You can do raid 0 but I tend to avoid 0 because there’s no redundancy. This might sound horrible but with your setup I wouldn’t worry about speed. Maybe just get a big sata ssd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep_noob View Post
    Looking at your setup I wouldn’t be too concerned with speed. You can get a few 7200rpm spindle drives in a raid 5 and do just fine if the case allows it. You can do raid 0 but I tend to avoid 0 because there’s no redundancy. This might sound horrible but with your setup I wouldn’t worry about speed. Maybe just get a big sata ssd.

I put my most important on the cloud. Its spead accross my divices.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Derek
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGimp View Post
    I put my most important on the cloud. Its spead accross my divices.
    Would you want a second 960? I’m planning to put a 2080 in mine.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Pete
    Would you want a second 960? I’m planning to put a 2080 in mine.

SSD? Do you have two identical?

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Pete
    Raid 0-3-5 are very different depending on how many IDENTICAL drives you have and how you use them.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Derek
    No, gpu. I do have a samsung 960 m.2 but I’m not letting go of that. It’s a GeForce 960 I’d give away.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Derek
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGimp View Post
    Raid 0-3-5 are very different depending on how many IDEANTICAL drives you have and how you use them.
    Don’t know 3. Never heard anyone use that. My single SSD can push 3500MB/s. I don’t really have any need to setup a raid.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Pete
    No, gpu. I do have a samsung 960 m.2 but I’m not letting go of that. It’s a GeForce 960 I’d give away.

Oh cool.. I think I have a 1060 (I just noticed that original specks I posted show a 960, it died and I replaced it..POS only lasted like 2 years)... But I'm working on putting together a used computer for a older woman friend of mine. Her computer is 8 years old, and she doesnt make enough to even upgrade it.

One of my 500 drives is bad... so plans changed.. I'm getting that replaced and third one.. Still Raid 0.. should be fun!

This computer is my main computer and its only used at the moment for internet and games.. So if one of the drives fail and I have to rebuild I'm not worred, my important data is on the cloud.

If this drive setup works really well I'm going to make it a Hyper V host.. Or Oracle VM host and buy a new gaming PC.. That way I can build lots of VM's for expierments or Game servers

Edit: Oh and they are all Sata SSD drives.
    Last edited by DaGimp; September 15th, 2018 at 07:39 PM.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Pete
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Capacities up to 2TB¹, sequential read speeds up to 560MB/s and sequential write speeds up to 530MB/s².

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Pete
    Don’t know 3. Never heard anyone use that. My single SSD can push 3500MB/s. I don’t really have any need to setup a raid.

Are you confusing transfer rate speed with write speed?

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Derek
    I’ve never seen them separated for a single drive. But yeah that’s the write speed. The read speed is even faster.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Derek
    Wait a minute. I see what you’re talking about. Because your Sata could top out at 3Gb/s or 6Gb/s. But the drives too out at around 550MB/s

Using PCIE3 my transfer rate is 8GT/s with 3.94 GB/s throughput using 4 lanes. Is that what you’re looking for? Apparently chemo brain is a thing. It’ll take me a little time to understand.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Pete
    Wait a minute. I see what you’re talking about. Because your Sata could top out at 3Gb/s or 6Gb/s. But the drives too out at around 550MB/s

Using PCIE3 my transfer rate is 8GT/s with 3.94 GB/s throughput using 4 lanes. Is that what you’re looking for? Apparently chemo brain is a thing. It’ll take me a little time to understand.

Try this http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun...773#MEMORY_KIT

UserBenchmarks: Game 67%, Desk 79%, Work 50%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K - 81.7%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-3GB - 68.8%
    SSD: Intel Raid 0 Volume 1TB - 122.7%
    USB: Generic 8GB - 7.4%
    RAM: Unknown 2x8GB - 62.7%
    MBD: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition (MS-7922)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Derek

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Pete
    Thats one hell of a drive! I might have to get one or two.. Two of those in raid 0...

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Derek
    Eventually I'll be doing that. I don't think I need that much speed but who knows... could be fun.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Pete
    I'm not spending this much.. but whoa!

http://www.legitreviews.com/samsung-...ormance_161753

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Derek
    That review is a bit old. My 970 was $147.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Pete
    Crap.. I think I just remembered my MB has a PCIE drive slot, and i have one here now.. I have to unplug everything from the case just to pull it out to remove the case to see..Arg

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Pete
    It doesnt.. I bought it for a laptop that does have one. Laptop stopped functioning before I was able to install the drive. I guess I'll get on replacing the laptop MB.

Web Wheeler
    That benchmark site is pretty cool:

UserBenchmarks: Game 101%, Desk 92%, Work 61%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K - 90.3%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 - 107.2%
    SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB - 119.1%
    HDD: WD WD10EURX 1TB - 61.6%
    HDD: WD WD10EURX 1TB - 82.3%
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 C15 4x8GB - 76.2%
    MBD: Asus SABERTOOTH Z170 S
    - John
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A. Heinlein

25. The Following User Likes NevadaXJ's Post:

DaGimp (4 Weeks Ago)

TroubleShooter
    Real Name
    Denis
    Quote Originally Posted by NevadaXJ View Post
    Welcome back! Dang, what rock were you hiding under all these years?
    Reno4x4Garage.com - CNC plasma cutting, welding, tube bending and custom 4x4 fabrication - (775) 771-2734