Thread: What do you bring?

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Charlie

What do you bring?

For our last trail ride I packed up my little tool box (end wrenches, vice grips, screw drivers, wire strippers, crescent wrench, etc), socket set, electric impact, drill & bits, mini sledge hammer, OBD2 reader, test light, multimeter, and my mini parts bin that has misc nuts &bolts, crimp connectors, zip ties.

Unfortunately that might not have been enough. We had a TJ with a leaking O-iring on his Tcase speedometer housing. The leak wasn't a huge deal and luckily didnt require immediate repair. I didnt have the large Allen wrench to remove the tcase fill plug but we could have added fluid through the speedometer hole. Unfortunately I didnt have any trans fluid either... or a funnel/pump..

So do you guys bring fluids and parts for a short easy trail? Any suggestions on what to add to my mini kit?
    I don't usually carry a ton of parts. If I were going further away I would bring a crank sensor, maybe some driveline bolts, a u-joint etc..
    N7TJX

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Pete
    I have a cheap socket set,
    Some adjustable wrenches
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Multi tip screw driver
    Snatch block
    Tree strap
    Tow Strap
    Backup winch controler
    First aid kit
    Sleepping pad/pillow/wool blanket
    Fresh water, water pills
    hatchet

I'm forgetting tons
    “The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” -Carlos Castaneda

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Charlie
    I didnt mention my recovery crap. Winch stuff, fire extinguishers, first aid bag, air comp, bottle jack, gloves etc...
    N7TJX

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Doug
    Okay, I don't carry every item listed here every time but I wanted a comprehensive list to try and live up to.

It helps to wheel with people with similar rigs and spread out the tools and parts!

https://theotherrubicon.com/vehicleequipment/
    Last edited by Simple Man; 6 Days Ago at 03:01 PM.
    Doug Barr - www.TheOtherRubicon.com
    Lake Tahoe Hi-Lo's & No. Tahoe Trail Dusters

5. The Following User Likes Simple Man's Post:

Dennis (5 Days Ago)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Charlie
    That's a huge list! Thanks for the link.
    N7TJX

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    For fluids, I try to carry gear oil, atf, and motor oil, but if space is tight or you are looking for something to store on the rig full time, I would just keep a quart of atf. It’s what your auto trans needs, but your motor, diffs, t case, ps, or manual trans will like it good enough to get you off the trail

8. The Following User Likes 3rd Petal's Post:

Dennis (5 Days Ago)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    brad
    1st trip through the Rubicon we brought water and samiches...oops

10. The Following User Likes j03_tj's Post:

DaGimp (5 Days Ago)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Will
    It's easy to overdo it. I did for many years but I had an unknown history rig. Now, I'm less inclined to bring the kitchen sink but I still have a lot.

As far as tools go, I try to bring the important ones for things that have a likelihood of failure. I try to keep track of what tools I use for maintenance items and figure out a way to carry those with me. I've found that a tool bag is a better way to carry them than any of the commercially available containers. You can also tie a tool bag down better than a tool box.

I know hubs and axle shafts can break, so I bring the tools to fix that and the spares. If you run a Dana 44, you need the sockets or end wrenches to change out a ball joint. Do yourself a favor and use Never-Seize when you replace yours. A balljoint replacement is nothing to sneeze at on some rigs, even with all the right tools. Add in rust and you might be dragging it home or to the trail head to get enough tools to do the job.

I change out the hoses on everything, so I don't bring much of that but I do leave a little extra length on the ones I replace, if I can, so I have some extra in case one loses an end or I need a short section for another hose that cannot have extra length. Heater hoses are an example. If you run them about 6-8" longer you can often route them around obstacles that the factory length had and you have 6-8" of extra for those short sections such as bypass hoses that are more prone to popping a hole.

Nuts and Bolts: I carry mine in either a small bag or a plastic container with a screw on lid. Clear is best so you don't have to empty it to see the contents.

Toyota's are awesome, until you lose a special nut or bolt. Then, they suck because NAPA and O'Reilley's don't carry Toyota bolts. Only Toyota and Pic-n-Pull do.

Driveline and half-shaft bolts. If you can, carry a couple. I've lost some a few times and a trail spare saved the day. Even locktited ones sometimes come out.

Hose Clamps. I carry a couple. Only needed them once for another guy but they don't take up much space. a 3/4" one can substitute for a battery cable clamp if necessary sometimes.

Zip ties. They are cool but they have limitations, especially when it gets really, really cold. The cheapo Harbor Freight ones suck, don't waste your time. Buy good American made ones or higher quality imports.

Tie Wire. Just buy a roll of safety wire or some baling type wire. Zip ties won't hold an exhaust system or a tie rod together.

Fuel filters. I carry a spare unless it is in the fuel tank. If yours is in-tank, you aren't going to be dropping a full tank on the trail unless you have no other options. If you are replacing your in-tank fuel pump as a maintenance item or yours failed at home, try to get the one that has the sock on it rather than the paper cartridge. Think Toyota, not 90's Dodge with the round paper element at the bottom of the pump.

Air filters. If you run paper, consider a K&N. They are $$$ but if you get them wet, you can sling the water out of them. Paper...not so much.

Oil filter. I grab a cheap one at walmart and tape the box shut to keep out the dirt. I've got a couple that are 10 years old and the boxes are still pretty decent.

Oils.

You cannot make ATF into gear oil and gears don't like it but they can tolerate a mixture of 20W/50 and gear oil. Old school manual transmissions can run thicker motor oil but not ATF unless you have no choice.

You cannot make gear oil into ATF, but, you can run 5w20 mixed with ATF to get you home.

You can also run 70/90 mixed with 5w/20 motor oil in an engine, as long as it's not freezing cold. Just let it get up to temp before you go hammering on the throttle because it will be thick.

What do I do? I carry 4 qts of ATF, 3 qts of motor oil and 2 qts of gear oil. A 20mm ammo can holds all this pretty easy. That is 9 qts. If you empty an automatic transmission, it can take that much just to get it operational again.

Trail Spares: I guess a lot depends on wheeling style and the rig. If you hammer down, bring the stuff. If you go easy, you can pack less.

Things I've seen or heard of being broken that required a rescue trip:

Steering sector shafts. If you shear one, you are sitting there until a new one is in place.

Dead fuel pumps. Even new ones can fail.

Broken steering knuckle. If someone has a welder, you might be able to fix it.

Split transfer case. Nobody carries a spare transfer case... Unless you are a Samurai guy..

Broken ring and pinion. You can carry a spare, but do you have the tools to install one?

Blown up engine. When in doubt throttle out isn't always the best way but to each their own.

Torn valve stems. Easy to carry a spare, easy to fix, if you have the parts.

Bad battery: If you have to jump start it every time you drive it, you are playing with fire.

Bad alternator: Some rigs eat so much juice it's really hard to do the drive for awhile, then charge with jumpers, then drive. If it doesn't take removing half the engine to swap yours out, you can carry a spare. If your model has a known failure point, you can carry those parts with you. Alternators aren't rocket science. You can fix one on the tailgate or a stump if you are motivated and have the pieces.

ECM's: They can fail. Most of them have the charging circuits for the alternator built in. This part can fail. I carry a spare. I've never needed one but I know of a couple guys who have lost them and needed a spare. Aftermarket ECM's can sometimes "Lose" their program and become a brick. If yours is sealed, make sure the seal has not failed. If yours is not sealed, consider location and adapt accordingly.

Tie Rod ends. If the ball comes out of the joint, you can hammer it back in and crush the joint down to hold it in but RockAuto sells cheapo ones for less than $8 for some models. If you break it off at the threads, you can weld them since they are steel, not cast iron.

U-Joints: Buy Spicer or Neapco. The parts-store ones don't always fit right. Carry a few spare clips with you if your's is that style. When they fling off into the dirt or snow, not even a yard magnet can find them..

FIRE!: Sometimes rigs catch on fire. Having a real, not the little 24oz beer can size extinguishers, can save the day. Mine sits under the drivers seat. Unless my door comes open, that thing isn't going anywhere with the way my rig is made.

Water: Sometimes things split open, sometimes you break down. Here in Nevada, water can be a life or death thing. You can put bottled water in a radiator. Humans cannot drink antifreeze and should not drink water out of an antifreeze bottle, even if it was rinsed out. Plan accordingly. In the winter, your water might freeze. Plan accordingly.

The Human Element:

If you wheel with kids, you have to add to your trail spares kit.

This includes, spare shoes, a change of clothes, a puke bag, a small shovel (lunch time entertainment) a blanket, sunscreen, sun glasses (they will steal yours) and if you go winter wheeling, sleds. Trust me when I say having these things already packed in the rig saves headaches and time when nobody wants to get dressed to go on Dad's stupid bumpy ride trip Saturday morning.

This goes for the adults too. Sometimes it rains, sometimes you fall down, sometimes you have to lay in the mud/snow/water to fix a rig. Sitting in wet pants all day when it's cold outside sucks. Sometimes you hear the unmistakable sound of a little somebody in the back seat about to puke. Right as you get the door open and the car seat unbuckled, you become the collection point for projectile ejection of breakfast / lunch / dinner. Having a spare shirt beats the choice of going shirtless in the winter or wearing puke all day...

First Aid Kit: Sure, electrical tape and a napkin will bandage up that split finger but having more than tape and bandaids can really make the day. Steri-Strips can substitute for stitches, so can super glue. Consider what can happen and what is likely to happen, especially if you are prone to anaphylactic reactions to bug stings. Sometimes, it's not even anyone in your rig that has the reaction and you can't always get what you need dropped in by helicopter or drone..

Pack accordingly.
    Last edited by WILLD420; 5 Days Ago at 09:05 AM.
    Some people are as useful as a football bat.