Thread: Car Break In Friday, 12/28/18 at Hunter Creek Trailhead

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Tim

Car Break In Friday, 12/28/18 at Hunter Creek Trailhead

My wife and I parked at the Hunter Creek Trailhead Friday morning at 11am and proceeded to hike the trail for about 3 hours. When we returned to our car, we left and spent the rest of the day going to Virginia Lake and then to the store. When we went to pay for our groceries, my wife discovered some credit cards missing from her purse. When we got home, I was checking my email when I came across an alarm notification from Subaru Starlink stating that our alarm was triggered at 12:32PM. We went online and checked the missing credit cards and found a $2500 charge on one at Best Buy and a $558 charge on the other one at the same Best Buy. We contacted Washoe County Sheriff and have since determined that the thieves used a wedge to pry the window frame from the body on the front passenger door and used a rod to hit the unlock button on the arm rest. WC Sheriff was also able to determine via video that two Hispanic women tried to purchase two gift cards at Target with the stolen cards on Friday which were turned down by the credit card company. They were going to check with Best Buy on Saturday since they were closed when we were filing the report. The investigation is still ongoing. For us, lesson learned the hard way. We're always careful to make sure any valuables in our car are hidden out of sight. This one time, we thought we did, but not enough. One thing the thieves did do is leave smudges on the windows from their hands when they were looking in the car. WC CSI took samples of them for DNA testing. It will be interesting to see if these scumbags are ever caught, and who they are.

Real Name
    Matt
    That sucks hope they catch the Dbags

3. The Following 2 Users Like Dusty4runner's Post:

CashMoney (3 Weeks Ago), lik2hvfun (3 Weeks Ago)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Tim

Picks of the Damage Done

Name:  body damage.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  608.9 KBName:  front passenger door location.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  708.1 KBName:  passenger door damage.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  945.8 KB

TroubleShooter
    Real Name
    Denis
    That sucks, hopefully they catch them and make an example of them, but since thatís not likely to happen, at least youíre safe, your car is relatively unharmed and credit card company will take care of you.
    Reno4x4Garage.com - CNC plasma cutting, welding, tube bending and custom 4x4 fabrication - (775) 771-2734

6. The Following User Likes Dennis's Post:

CashMoney (3 Weeks Ago)

I support Reno4x4!
    Had a CC stolen and the crooks racked up big charges all over, some even in Vegas with in hours. I think the clerks must be in on the scam. Every time I use my card I’m asked for ID. How does Best Buy ok a 2500 sale and not ask see ID?
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    www.hillsangels4x4.com. Plankowner
    Life Member Blue Ribbon Coalition
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

8. The Following User Likes RARECJ8's Post:

CashMoney (3 Weeks Ago)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Tim
    Quote Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
    Had a CC stolen and the crooks racked up big charges all over, some even in Vegas with in hours. I think the clerks must be in on the scam. Every time I use my card I’m asked for ID. How does Best Buy ok a 2500 sale and not ask see ID?
    We were wondering the same thing. I does seem highly suspicious especially since they tried to put the entire purchase on one card and were denied, and then were able to spread it across two cards. Hopefully, Best Buy will have them on video as well as the car (and license number) of the car the used to get there. Target didn't have that since the two women walked away. I don't have high hopes of them getting caught. At least not now.