Thread: Growing lawn from seed

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott

Growing lawn from seed

Who has done it? Sod is a little out of the budget right now. Seed looks cheap and easy, but sod seems much more popular. Any advice or tips and suggestions for a new grower?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevr View Post
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

Wheeler
    Real Name
    David
    Gotta keep it wet. In this climate it will likely take 2 years before you get anything near the quality that sod will provide in 2 hours.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Andrew
    I'm a landscape designer and project manager.

You'll be feeding the birds more than anything else. , but IF you try to go this route, make sure you apply straw over the top. Helps keep the seed in one spot (wind, water), and also will cut down on the loos due to birds. Keeps moisture in too.

Make sure your irrigation is right, and don't skip on topsoil, minimum 2". The sod portion really isn't that expensive after irrigation and topsoil and edging. How big an area are you doing?

4. The Following User Likes Dr. Marneaus's Post:

Dennis (April 11th, 2019)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mark
    I have done this many times.
    I actually much prefer it as the quality of the lawn will be better in the end. You have to have patience though and doing it right is not necessarily cheap. Be sure to till in triple mix or some other fertilizer into your yard before placing in seed, spread the seed, tine it, then I thinly spread a layer of triple mix over the tined seed. Basically take a shovel and throw the mix over the seed barely enough to cover the seed. This will not blow away like straw in our winds and will keep the seeds wet. They have to stay wet initially to germinate.

Yes, you have to have a sprinkler system or have someone dedicated to sprinkle every couple of hours. Initially set the sprinkler system to make the soil damp every few hours. Probably 4 or 5 times a day initially maybe more. In a week, you will notice a green tinge, and in a couple of weeks you will see blades of grass. Keep it wet until the first mow. You will need less and less water as the blades grow so keep reducing the water as the blades come up. Once you mow it, it will really take off. You will need to ween the grass from the high amounts of water over a few months, but over time, it will grow enough roots to be better than sod.

It does take a solid year or so to fill in completely, but you wont be sorry you did it.

Sod is clearly way faster, but IMO seed is the way to go.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Tom
    Personally I would not do grass at all as the cost and maintance is high. If you need green space than look into artificial turf, in the long run it is actually much cheaper.
    Otherwise have good soil, drill or rake the seed into the dirt, don't just trow it on top. Water and fertilizer is a must. Keep it wet until it germinates. Blue grass seed can take 30 days to germinate where your rye grass can come up in 7 days. Temp is important too as grass typically will not germinate below 50 degrees and goes dormant when it gets hot. I was a landscape contractor in the midwest before moving here.