Thread: Dutch Louie Flat, Spring 2019

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    David

Dutch Louie Flat, Spring 2019

People are pushing further and further through the snow banks on Hunter Lake Rd! On my way up I stopped at Dutch Louie Flat first. People are driving into the meadow again, but not at the south end where the logs got torn up during last year's fire (still a lot torn up on the south side though). They are accessing on the N side. You'll see the tracks and a "recovery" strap in the middle. Looks like some side by side tracks. I know Hills Angels have adopted that road and put up the meadow barrier, but I've never had my account confirmed by them so I can't post (as far as i can figure out) on their forum. Please stay out of the Meadows wherever you are. It's my understanding that the forest service has threatened to close the spur road into Dutch Louie in the past.?

Also, found fresh bear tracks up there so keep a close eye on your dogs and try not to leave you vehicle too long with any food or trash that would entice the hungry spring bears.
    I made it as far as the North facing section that runs across the headwaters of Alum creek at approx 7,200'. just past that part, a large tree has fallen across the road. So, a winch and/or chainsaw to clear it will be required. looks like someone already tried with a hand saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    Why would you think it's okay to drive around those logs? It seems clear they're setup to tell you to stay OUT of the area. I hate people who look at this and think "look...right here it is open and there isn't a fence so it's totally left open so we can go spin donuts or take selfies over there."
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevr View Post
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

Real Name
    Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyChemist View Post
    Why would you think it's okay to drive around those logs? It seems clear they're setup to tell you to stay OUT of the area. I hate people who look at this and think "look...right here it is open and there isn't a fence so it's totally left open so we can go spin donuts or take selfies over there."

Because people are stupid, that's why.

I've started to explore that area a bit on foot, but I guess I should fire up the truck and go do a little wheeled exploring. Kid likes to explore, so I'll drag her along and show her some bear sign. I'll also make a point of showing her how a few idiots tend to ruin things for the rest of us. :/

I support Reno4x4!
    Idiots should not breed. Go to hills angels Facebook page this is where the action is.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    www.hillsangels4x4.com. Plankowner
    Life Member Blue Ribbon Coalition
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

5. The Following User Likes RARECJ8's Post:

BAMCIS (April 24th, 2019)

Vendor
    Real Name
    Evergreen
    Is it possible that R4x4 as a group can start a fund to add a fence to that area? It seems every years there is someone who ignores the logs.

I support Reno4x4!
    Our club hills angels have an adopt a trail agreement for hlt. We plan a Dutch Louie Flat repair day and a general trail service, trimming threat assessment, etc. some of the upper ruts above camper shell hill force timid drivers into the brush further creating erosion and trail braiding. If ya cant stay on trail maybe consider a new hobby. Once we have a work day identified we will make announcement warpath work party assignments and of course a hit lunch at hunter lake. Historically from big meadow to Garson nut much needed. The G loop thru aspens will need some help anyway. Mai
    n focus is between boundary marker and dam at big meadow. And removal of the old ford ranchero.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    www.hillsangels4x4.com. Plankowner
    Life Member Blue Ribbon Coalition
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

8. The Following User Likes RARECJ8's Post:

BAMCIS (April 29th, 2019)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
    Our club hills angels have an adopt a trail agreement for hlt. We plan a Dutch Louie Flat repair day and a general trail service, trimming threat assessment, etc. some of the upper ruts above camper shell hill force timid drivers into the brush further creating erosion and trail braiding. If ya cant stay on trail maybe consider a new hobby. Once we have a work day identified we will make announcement warpath work party assignments and of course a hit lunch at hunter lake. Historically from big meadow to Garson nut much needed. The G loop thru aspens will need some help anyway. Mai
    n focus is between boundary marker and dam at big meadow. And removal of the old ford ranchero.
    I'd be willing to help.

Real Name
    Matt
    I have a 99 4runner limited with elocker on 32s stock suspension & would like to help out as well. Keep me in the know, im on the hills angels fb page.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    David

up HLT today to see how far up I can get. checked on DLF today. looks like a few rocks and small logs got placed and have been working to deter others.

Made it to about 8015' before I hit the snow right as a burst of rain and hail came down. Looks like someone made it about 4' further. I have to head back down so I don't have time to break out the winch and shoot higher. Dang. Someone can make it to Hunter Lake towards the end of next week. or just take your winch, air down, and try to make it tomorrow!! it's sloppy up here!!!

12. The Following User Likes BAMCIS's Post:

LEKCAH38 (May 30th, 2019)

Real Name
    Justin
    What app is that on your phone?

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by LEKCAH38 View Post
    What app is that on your phone?
    It's Garmin Earthmate. I use it in conjunction with my Garmin inReach.

15. The Following User Likes BAMCIS's Post:

LEKCAH38 (May 30th, 2019)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    David

Dutch Louie Flat, Spring 2019

made it up E loop today finally (winched for a while). drifts got really big a little ways after that so I turned around. 2 yotas passed me that just got done winching up the E loop. I told em they cold make it to Hunter Lake, so I hope they did me proud. they had more help to run winch lines .

17. The Following User Likes BAMCIS's Post:

RARECJ8 (June 2nd, 2019)

Real Name
    Allison
    Ah nice, what altitude is the snow line at today?

We hit the same trail this afternoon, took a friend 4-wheeling for the first time, made it to about 7,400 before turning around, and never made it to snow.

It was beautiful up there today.

19. The Following User Likes amcjen's Post:

BAMCIS (June 3rd, 2019)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    David
    I didn't take out my GPS on this trip but I made it up to approximately 8,300'
    on the map i turned around about where the red flag is. I saw the ATV that passed me while winching stopped approximately the blue flag. the rider wasn't ther so i assume they went on foot to the lake.

Real Name
    Allison
    Great, snow line is getting higher, thatís awesome.