Thread: Eaton diff questions

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    John

Eaton diff questions

Iím getting ready to reinstall the LSD into my Kia. I wanted to shoot for a rebuild before I do it, but Iím running into some hurdles finding if thatís even possible. Local shop today wasnít much help, so I figured Iíd reach out on here before I drop it back in.

2005 Kia Sorento with the Eaton carbon fiber LSD. 34 spline axle.

1) Can anyone with a parts catalog or better GoogleFu than me find a rebuild kit or part number for a new set of clutches?

2) Educate me on the spring packs. Kia stopped putting spring packs in these diffs by 2005, citing customer complaints. Are spring packs on their LSD universal, or carrier specific? Iíve watched a handful of videos on rebuilding myself, and if I canít find new clutches, it seems like adding a spring pack would be worth a shot since the third member is just sitting in my garage.

Any help appreciated.
    Only wheeled Kia Sorento in Nevada on 31's.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    I’m no help on part numbers for a Kia, do you have an axle model or maybe ring gear diameter to help with

I would imagine if you can get a set of springs from an earlier axle, that they should fit. I’d imagine something could be fabricated easy enough as well, you just need two plates with “nubs” to capture the springs, and 4 springs. Another option is to try and make an “S” type spring from a Ford 7.5” or 8.8” trac-loc fit in there

3. The Following User Likes 3rd Petal's Post:

Dirty Harry (June 5th, 2019)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mark
    Spring pack actually can be eliminated if you spend the time to tune the diff. Most don't do that so a spring pack is a cheap and easy way to apply pressure to the clutch packs.

Tom's sells rebuild kits for most rear ends. Not sure about a Kia, but I would think they can help you out.

https://www.tomsdifferentials.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGq15JBBUQw

5. The Following User Likes 69cj5's Post:

Dirty Harry (June 5th, 2019)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Ahh the joys of owning weird shit

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    John
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rd Petal View Post
    Iím no help on part numbers for a Kia, do you have an axle model or maybe ring gear diameter to help with

I would imagine if you can get a set of springs from an earlier axle, that they should fit. Iíd imagine something could be fabricated easy enough as well, you just need two plates with ďnubsĒ to capture the springs, and 4 springs. Another option is to try and make an ďSĒ type spring from a Ford 7.5Ē or 8.8Ē trac-loc fit in there
    Uncommon/Kia specific axle so far as Iíve ever found. 12 bolt 9Ē ring gear, 34 spline 1.42Ē axle shafts.

The idea of a spring off another diff was what I was wondering about. Off to the YouTubes I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by 69cj5 View Post
    Spring pack actually can be eliminated if you spend the time to tune the diff. Most don't do that so a spring pack is a cheap and easy way to apply pressure to the clutch packs.

Tom's sells rebuild kits for most rear ends. Not sure about a Kia, but I would think they can help you out.
    Didnít find anything on Tomís but thanks for the link. Iíve actually watched that tuning vid a couple times, which is what got me on the hunt for a rebuild kit. Do you know if the shims they use when doing that tune are carrier specific?

I agree with the spring pack, and figured if I could cram in a heavy set of springs it would help off road versus a tuned disc set wearing itself out of spec the first time I really slip it on an obstacle.

Thanks for the advice, both of you!
    Only wheeled Kia Sorento in Nevada on 31's.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Just happened upon this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-R...gAAOSw7kNcoE4R

Kinda hoakey cheap China junk, but looks like it might do the exact thing you are looking for. And for $20, what have you got to lose?

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrey123 View Post
    Do you know if the shims they use when doing that tune are carrier specific?
    Not officially, but the shims are just that, thin pieces of metal ground to a specific dimension. I cant imagine they would be much different for a different carrier. Tuning of the diff is something I did on my Vette and it works well. After going through that procedure it is pretty obvious why it works (probably better than spring packs). But I am sure a spring pack from most any diff as long as it fits in the carrier should work fine. In the end all you need is enough friction in the clutches to grab. Something like 70ft-lbs if I recall correctly. Anything that keeps the clutches tight would serve a similar purpose.

10. The Following 2 Users Like 69cj5's Post:

CashMoney (June 11th, 2019), jfrey123 (June 13th, 2019)