PDA

View Full Version : TRACTION BAR...

WHITEBOY88
October 3rd, 2010, 10:20 PM
I WAS THINKING BOUT MAKING A TRACTION BAR JUST LIKE THIS GUY DID...WHAT DO YOU THINK?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ntiwrapbar.htm

(SEEMS LIKE IT WOULD WORK WITH THE SPRINGS AND TRAVEL WELL INSTEAD OF BINDING IT UP.)

WHITEBOY88
October 3rd, 2010, 10:25 PM
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Anti_wrap_bar/antiwrapbar.htm

SORRY BOUT THAT..THIS ;INK SHOULD WORK..

94pathfinder
October 4th, 2010, 06:30 AM
For the love of god, if you butt weld it together like he did. then please just throw it out. Any type of link/traction bar should never be butt welded. it's not safe.

Back on topic.
Traction bars are really only necessary if you are running revolver shackles. Yes they do help with wheel hop. But they're really only needed on the rear drive axle, some people run them to the front axle, it is not necessary. What type of set-up do you have? Are you running Revolver Shackles? What is your rig? What Leaf packs are you running? If you do it, What Heims are you going to run? or Are you going to purchase a pre-fabbed set-up?

WHITEBOY88
October 4th, 2010, 07:07 AM
NO IM NOT RUNNING REVOLVER SHACKLES... I WAS PLANNING ON WELDING MY OWN TRACTION BAR FRAME TOGETHER WITH SOME THREADED BUNG'S. THAN MOUNT SOME HIGH MISALIGNMENT BUSHINGS TO EACH END. I HAVE AN 81 YOTA. SMALL BLOCK 350 WITH A 350 TURBO TRANS AND A 60'S MOPAR 8.75 REAR END (3:91 RATIO)

Dennis
October 4th, 2010, 07:42 AM
For the love of god, if you butt weld it together like he did. then please just throw it out. Any type of link/traction bar should never be butt welded. it's not safe.

Back on topic.
Traction bars are really only necessary if you are running revolver shackles. Yes they do help with wheel hop. But they're really only needed on the rear drive axle, some people run them to the front axle, it is not necessary. What type of set-up do you have? Are you running Revolver Shackles? What is your rig? What Leaf packs are you running? If you do it, What Heims are you going to run? or Are you going to purchase a pre-fabbed set-up?

That's not true. Leaf springs alone allow for too much axle wrap, that it can bind the driveshaft and destroy it. Traction bar is a very good idea for a leaf-sprung rig.

WHITEBOY, contact any of the vendors here and have a proper one built. They will ensure it doesn't bind and limit your articulation.

Dennis
October 4th, 2010, 07:45 AM
A 60'S MOPAR 8.75 REAR END (3:91 RATIO)

8.75" axle is not a Dana 60.

Styx
October 4th, 2010, 08:17 AM
8.75" axle is not a Dana 60.

I think he means a 1960's axle.

Dr Smash
October 4th, 2010, 08:29 AM

Back on topic.
Traction bars are really only necessary if you are running revolver shackles. Yes they do help with wheel hop. But they're really only needed on the rear drive axle, some people run them to the front axle, it is not necessary. What type of set-up do you have? Are you running Revolver Shackles? What is your rig? What Leaf packs are you running? If you do it, What Heims are you going to run? or Are you going to purchase a pre-fabbed set-up? Any leafsprung suspension front and rear benefit from traction bars. Its my opinion that they should be on the front and the rear as axle wrap doesnt care if its front axle or a rear axle it still has it. And A properly designed traction bar set up should effectively decrease it to allmost non existant. here is a pic of my front and rear set up on my truck :redface:

jfrey123
October 4th, 2010, 08:40 AM
^^^ Best use of that photo I've seen yet... :rofl:

WHITEBOY88
October 4th, 2010, 09:02 AM
ALRIGHT, THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS...AND YEAH I MEANT ITS A 1960'S AXLE OFF AN OLD HEAVY DUTY PLYMOUTH STATION WAGON.

Styx
October 4th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Your caplock seems to be stuck. :|

dzrtrnr
October 7th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I needed a traction bar to help with excessive wheel hop off road on my 2wd ranger pre runner.
I did use the Sam's Offroad ladder bar next to my driveline and it worked very well. The price is
very reasonable for what you get, plus the time it will save you.

JoseJalapeno
October 7th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Your caplock seems to be stuck. :|

:chuckle: