PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Speed Demons

RockRunner02
February 24th, 2011, 05:03 PM
FYI: http://www.rgj.com/article/20110224/NEWS/110224045

Heads up. I know I go a little too fast sometimes.:rolleyes:

CashMoney
February 24th, 2011, 05:36 PM
all I can say is thats kinda bs cause they can't judge as well as the person in the seat whats to fast for their vehicle

maxamillion2345
February 24th, 2011, 05:43 PM
I can't help but think of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtwJvgPJ9xw

Thanks for the heads up.

y0da
February 24th, 2011, 05:44 PM
all I can say is thats kinda bs cause they can't judge as well as the person in the seat whats to fast for their vehicle

x2

DaGimp
February 25th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Revenue Generation. "To protect and serve" should be updated "To fine and harass". So if someone is speeding before or after this 3 week period they're less likely to get a ticket? Is that because they'll be less of a danger on the road then? Complete f'ing BS, the public should be outraged buy revenue generation BS like this.

Dennis
February 25th, 2011, 09:12 AM
What about ticketing people that go too slow for conditions??

RockRunner02
February 25th, 2011, 09:15 AM
What about ticketing people that go too slow for conditions??

I wish they would. Us honking and flippin them the bird doesn't work...

ArmyGrouse
February 25th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Somehow I have a feeling that there will be a magically speed that if your not going that speed you'll get a fine. . .

Hell I've been pulled over for turning on to Kietzke with a red light. Appearently if you make a right turn on a red light you can get pulled over. Back when I was getting my license if there isn't a "NO RIGHT TURN ON RED" sign your allowed to turn. Guess that's only in Gardnerville. . .

Oh and the police officer told me that I didn't look before I took the turn, even though there's a parking lot on the left side of the street, and a lane for people turning right.

RockRunner02
February 25th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Somehow I have a feeling that there will be a magically speed that if your not going that speed you'll get a fine. . .

Hell I've been pulled over for turning on to Kietzke with a red light. Appearently if you make a right turn on a red light you can get pulled over. Back when I was getting my license if there isn't a "NO RIGHT TURN ON RED" sign your allowed to turn. Guess that's only in Gardnerville. . .

Oh and the police officer told me that I didn't look before I took the turn, even though there's a parking lot on the left side of the street, and a lane for people turning right.

You should have told him that he was "profiling" you. Because you are young.

Cagle
February 25th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I wish they would. Us honking and flippin them the bird doesn't work...

That worked well for me coming back from S.Lake last Thursday. WTF? Braking at every corner, slowing down and speeding up and talking on a cell. I wanted to beat that person with a bat.
God I hate pepole.... My rant is done.

Dennis
February 25th, 2011, 09:37 AM

Did you come to a complete stop before turning? When making a right turn at red light, with no "NO TURN ON RED" posted, you should treat it like a 4-way stop.

wrenchjunkie
February 25th, 2011, 11:19 AM
With all the deficits around I wonder how DPS and OTS got the money to grant to PDs to do this.

Wages and OT get paid by the grant and info filters back to ins. co. actuaries who reevaluate risk in a perticular area based on number of traffic accidents and citations issued in that area. The more accidents and citations the riskier the area.

I wonder if that is why ins. rates vary due to zip code.

ArmyGrouse
February 25th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Did you come to a complete stop before turning? When making a right turn at red light, with no "NO TURN ON RED" posted, you should treat it like a 4-way stop.

Its hard not to stop when you have to look over your shoulder to see traffic, but because of that parking lot I was looking as soon as I got into the right turn lane. If memory serves I was behind someone else who was also waiting, so there was a huge opening, even the fast lane was open.

When I told him that I learned that you don't have to stop to wait to turn if there isn't a "Not Turn on Red" sign, he let me off. . . Now I notice that even without that sign, people wait for the light to turn green before proceeding. . .

MotoMatt
February 25th, 2011, 05:18 PM

x99999. me and my 4runner can easily do 65 on the freeway when plowed during the middle of the day. when its crazy icy out or still snowing thats different but i know what me and my car are capable of, this shouldnt be left for the police to be the judge of.

FallonJeeper
February 25th, 2011, 05:32 PM
When they pull you over, tell 'em it's BS and challenge them to chase you. If they can't catch you within a specified distance, let's say Sparks to Elko, then you don't get a ticket. ;)

MotoMatt
February 25th, 2011, 10:18 PM
When they pull you over, tell 'em it's BS and challenge them to chase you. If they can't catch you within a specified distance, let's say Sparks to Elko, then you don't get a ticket. ;)

good idea! hahahaha

BIG BLUE
February 26th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Somehow I see I-80 between Sparks and Fernley as being highly targeted. One It already is every time they do this crap and two its an easy section of road. Now the spot that a lot of accidents happen, right around Mustang is a straight shot and somehow I see asshats flipped, off the road or in the embankment all the time. But I haven't seen speed as the cause but rather what causes the wreck to be so bad. Its people knee jerk reactions to situations that cause accidents. Lane changes too fast. Or braking or accelerating too fast. I feel that a good judge is by what the majority of traffic is doing. 75% doing say 55...then you get that one hero thats doing 70 yeah its pretty safe to say he might be speeding. If people really stopped to think about speed and what they gain most would realize unless your covering 100's of miles you really don't gain anything. Now that said I speed and will continue to do so. Roads are built with certain standards driving their design and as such the engineers can determine a safe and reasonable speed. Then typically a state will enact a speed that is anywhere from 5-15 mph lower than that in effect creating a revenue generator.

http://blog.motorists.org/traffic-tickets-are-big-business/

BIG BLUE
February 26th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Another thought as I was reading an article on speed limits and them being set to low is how they do studies....

'The 2009 technical report An Analysis of Speeding-Related Crashes:Definitions and the Effects of Road Environments by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration showed that ca 55 percent of all speeding-related crashes in fatal crashes were due to “exceeding posted speed limits” and 45 percent were due to “driving too fast for conditions”.'

Exceeding the posted limit isn't a good way to judge accidents since the speeds limits vary based on each state. So say a straight shot of road in New York the speed limit would be 55, that same section in Nevada would be 70 and in Texas would be 80. Another thing is how can one judge if speed was a factor in what caused the wreck and not just an outcome of how bad the wreck was? I was in a wreck one time when I lived in Los Banos. On the outside of town where I lived it was classified a rural highway. People could cross from one side to the other. In between was an island where they would stop once crossing one side of traffic. Speed limit was 65. I was doing about 70-75. It was 6:30 in the morning. I was going down the freeway and a lady started from the opposite side and decided to blow all the way across. Said she didn't see me. I t-boned her. Now slowing down 10 mph I would have still t-bonned her but maybe the damage would have been less. Point being speed didn't cause the wreck but did contribute to the outcome. The officer did note on the report that my speed was excessive but thankfully he also noted that it didn't contribute to the wreck.

Bitosin
February 26th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Speed will most definately make a bad accident much worse. On snowy highways, speed may cause you to loose control merely because you can't react fast enough or you over-react if you start to slide or skid a little.

On most highways, a "good or skilled" driver can easily go 15-20 mph above the speed limit safely. However the highway dept. must consider the rest of the asshats that are not good drivers and lower the speed to a common denominator. Also, 80 on a clear highway with no other cars around may be safe, but put other cars around that make sudden lane changes, brake for no apparent reason, or whatever and you have a problem.

Special K
February 26th, 2011, 07:27 AM

I agree, but, since they are hourly employees funded by our tax dollars, the distance should be far shorter, like, Sparks to Mustang.........besides, my truck gets horrible mileage, I don't think I'd make it to Elko

I think if you just take off, they automatically chase you, so, I don't think you even need to 'challenge' them..........not sure on the exact law, LOL

FallonJeeper
February 26th, 2011, 11:18 AM
I only used Sparks to Elko because it would be an extreme distance. If they wanted to chase me all the way to Elko, they'd either really want me bad, or have to call in re-enforcements. Neither of my 4x4 vehicles would out run anybody, unless the road conditions were really bad. The Challenger can out run a lot of vehicles, but she ain't great in the snow and ice.

Safe speed for road conditions is very subjective. You may be able to get out of a ticket if you can talk the talk.

I learned to drive in snow and ice when I was much younger, in Buffalo. I didn't always have 4x4 available. I remember driving a 5.0 Mustang in a blizzard. The rear-end is so light and there is so much torque/power available to the rear wheels, that it didn't take much to break traction. So I spent a lot of time driving sideways. Anybody that is not accustomed to seeing this type of driving may think your driving out of control. But those who are practiced in this skill, know they are in control.

Try explaining that to a Super Trooper. I don't ever claim to be a better driver than anybody else, but I do know my capabilities, and the capabilities of my vehicle. I think, if I got pulled over, for this, I could probably talk my way out of it, at least down to a warning. Might save me a trip to Elko. ;)

Pariah
February 27th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I saw 4 people pulled over on 395 between Oddie and Plumb tonight. I also saw a cop car sitting on the shoulder without any lights on. Which if it isn't illegal it is at least unsafe to do in a construction zone.

FallonJeeper
February 27th, 2011, 09:45 PM
I saw 4 people pulled over on 395 between Oddie and Plumb tonight. I also saw a cop car sitting on the shoulder without any lights on. Which if it isn't illegal it is at least unsafe to do in a construction zone.

Maybe somebody should pull up behind him and ask him if he needs help, or call it in to NHP.

DirtyChemist
February 28th, 2011, 06:06 AM
I guess driving the speed limit is too much to ask.

DaGimp
February 28th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I guess driving the speed limit is too much to ask.

Doing the speed limit would be great. %90 of the time I'm doing 10mph under stuck behind a left lane camper.

Bitosin
February 28th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Highway speed limits are established for "average drivers" under "normal" conditions. Rain, snow, or fog are not "normal conditions" and people should slow down...very simple.

A skilled NASCAR calibre driver in a well built vehicle could handle I-80 from Reno to Fernley at 200mph easily with no traffic. Joe Asshat driving a vehicle his "shadetree mechanic" friend helped put together would not be very safe at all. When a cop stops a vehicle for exceeding safe speed, he doesn't know if he is stopping Joe Asshat or Dale Ernhart.

DaGimp
February 28th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Highway speed limits are established for "average drivers" under "normal" conditions. Rain, snow, or fog are not "normal conditions" and people should slow down...very simple.

A skilled NASCAR calibre driver in a well built vehicle could handle I-80 from Reno to Fernley at 200mph easily with no traffic. Joe Asshat driving a vehicle his "shadetree mechanic" friend helped put together would not be very safe at all. When a cop stops a vehicle for exceeding safe speed, he doesn't know if he is stopping Joe Asshat or Dale Ernhart.

I think you mean Formula 1 driver in F1 car, its not just left turns... (I crack myself up).

MotoMatt
February 28th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I think you mean Formula 1 driver in F1 car, its not just left turns... (I crack myself up).

guaranteed any Nascar driver can out drive any of us on the pavement...

CashMoney
February 28th, 2011, 04:06 PM
guaranteed any Nascar driver can out drive any of us on the pavement...

how come they always crashing then :D

Bitosin
February 28th, 2011, 04:06 PM
That's my point...a highly skilled driver could do it at 200mph, most of us could probably handle 100mph or more easily...that still doesn't mean Joe Asshat would be safe at 70mph

MotoMatt
February 28th, 2011, 04:07 PM
how come they always crashing then :D

they are probably told to crash so people actually watch that ****. haha

CashMoney
February 28th, 2011, 04:09 PM
saw a cop posting out in sparks industrial area today, I'm not going to say where cause I was actually happy to see him and it was even better that he was out completely in the open and radaring people after they passed him so if they are that stupid to continue speeding after they pass him they deserve a ticket.

RockRunner02
February 28th, 2011, 04:53 PM
they are probably told to crash so people actually watch that ****. haha

People watch nascar???:scratchhead: I thought it was just on tv to help all of us take afternoon naps... kinda like golf.

MotoMatt
February 28th, 2011, 05:47 PM
People watch nascar???:scratchhead: I thought it was just on tv to help all of us take afternoon naps... kinda like golf.

no way ill watch a race. but if the highlights of crashes happen to be on hell yeah ill watch those. Destruction FTMFW!:ar15::nuke: