PDA

View Full Version : Should I Trade my 2.5L for an 4.0L Jeep TJ???

MrRiceGuyRJ
March 31st, 2011, 08:04 PM
There's a neighbor down the street that has a nice looking '97 TJ for sale, and I'm torn on if I should buy it or not.

His (1997 TJ Sport):
4.0L with 5-speed manual with 104k miles, Hard top with half doors and soft windows, roof rack, nerf bar bumbers (similar to http://www.jeep4x4center.com/tj/52403K78.jpg), clean interior, no a/c, non-working heater, runs okay but has a couple quirky sounds, stock suspension

Mine (2000 TJ Sport SE):
2.5L with 5-speed manual with 102k miles, soft top with half doors and soft windows, fair interior, no a/c, working heater, runs good but has engine ticking, coil spacers with 33" tires

The neighbors Jeep has been sitting for a LONG time but it runs, but I'm sure it has some possible mechanical issues. I haven't investigated how serious they are, nor am I'm a confident enough mechanic to really know what I'm looking at. He's asking $6k, but in desperation is willing to sell for $4k. I'm considering buying his Jeep, putting my lift and tires on it, and using it as my weekend warrior rig, and selling mine as a more or less stock 4-banger. I'm sure I can clean mine up and sell for a the same price if not more. Should I pull the trigger?

I could use a couple voice-of-reasons.

Anyone wanna come with me to check it out and let me know if there's anything seriously wrong with it? I buy the beers and/or food.

litlmeck
March 31st, 2011, 08:10 PM
Yes

MrRiceGuyRJ
March 31st, 2011, 09:36 PM
Thank you for your infinite insight and knowledge.

Reno Computer Repair
March 31st, 2011, 09:43 PM
Yes. I made the jump from a 2.5 to a 4.0 two years ago. Best choice ever, no more 2nd gear 5500RPM up [email protected] Parr. 4K and a hard top/hard doors sounds nice.

MrHappy
March 31st, 2011, 10:53 PM
I had a 95 2.5L 5 speed with 3.55 gears and 31" tires. I hated it. I went to a 97 4.0L 5 speed with 3.55 gears and 31" tires. I love it. On the trails they were the same, never really could tell the difference. On the highway the 2.5L was a dog; really struggled going up 395, was lucky to get to 60mph.

Rubiconthomas
April 1st, 2011, 12:00 AM
My cousin owned a 2.5L wrangler and I've got the 4.0L wrangler. On highway I felt like I could get out and push it up the hills better than it could pull itself. Off-road the 2.5L wasn't able to crawl as well as the 4.0L. If you are able to sell your jeep for the same if not more than what you would buy your neighbors jeep. Assuming you don't discover some hidden problem that would kill the deal then I vote yes on the trade. If you haven't already, ask why he is selling. Perhaps something is broken?

jfrey123
April 1st, 2011, 09:17 AM
If you have the liquid cash to purchase that Jeep now, I would do it. Many people will be able to tell you they like the 4.0 better than the 2.5. You should be able to swap over all your favorite off road stuff to the 4.0 Jeep, then sell your 2.5 TJ as a "gas saver". With fuel prices on the rise, I think someone will jump at the chance for a 4cyl Wrangler if you list it on CL or something. Wranglers always seem to hold their value well, and a 4cyl will be worth extra premium to those who want a Jeep but also want relatively good mileage.

Dennis
April 1st, 2011, 09:42 AM
If you have the liquid cash to purchase that Jeep now, I would do it. Many people will be able to tell you they like the 4.0 better than the 2.5. You should be able to swap over all your favorite off road stuff to the 4.0 Jeep, then sell your 2.5 TJ as a "gas saver". With fuel prices on the rise, I think someone will jump at the chance for a 4cyl Wrangler if you list it on CL or something. Wranglers always seem to hold their value well, and a 4cyl will be worth extra premium to those who want a Jeep but also want relatively good mileage.

There's virtually no difference in MPG between 2.5 and 4.0.

jdhouk
April 1st, 2011, 11:31 AM
There's virtually no difference in MPG between 2.5 and 4.0.

this is true i have both and they are the same MPG's....

MrRiceGuyRJ
April 1st, 2011, 12:58 PM
Okay, here's the update...

Back story:
Turns out the person down the street is not the owner, he was just storing it for the owner. The owner is in Hawaii since he moved back for family problem. The Jeep is no longer down the street since the owners brother picked it up. Went over to the brothers house, turns out he's a Reno 4x4 member, HYNSTYL. He has a nice Jeep and he was going to work on his brothers to help it sell.

The Inspection Review:
I checked out the Jeep in person, not nearly the gem I thought it was. I saw it on a snowy day when I first saw it. Apparently it hides A LOT. Windshield cracked from top to bottom on passenger side. The paint is VERY faded and nearly gone, it has minor body damage on the front right fender which resulted in chipped paint and some minor rust, same with the nerf-bar front bumper, has big dents and minor rust, the KC lights that are on the front bumper are not even wired up, the hard top is aftermarket, so the rear defrosters on it are not wired up either, the stereo unit has been ripped out of the dash (hence the after market hard top since the perp cut through soft top), the heater control unit doesn't even kick a fan on at all, so not only does the heater not work, nor does the controls to test it out. The blinkers dont work well. The dash, carpet and cloth interior is a little more beat up, stained, and/or faded than it looked through the window, the tires are nearly completely bald, and the nice roof-rack that was originally on there has been removed by HYNSTYL because he wants to keep it or sell it separate. I test drove it, and it drives well. Much more power than my 2.5L. No visible leaks, exhaust header recently replaced, does has a scraping sound when driving. Not sure if the bearings are worthless or lacking lube, or something is caught in the rotor or what.

My Summary:
As far as a strictly off-roader (so cosmetics aside), most of the listed issues are small issues than can be fixed through time. However, my existing Jeep looks great on the exterior and has a working thermal controls and radio.

With the rack removed, and the most issues revealed, I'm not thinking this is the steal I hoped for.

CashMoney
April 1st, 2011, 03:39 PM
Okay, here's the update...

Back story:
Turns out the person down the street is not the owner, he was just storing it for the owner. The owner is in Hawaii since he moved back for family problem. The Jeep is no longer down the street since the owners brother picked it up. Went over to the brothers house, turns out he's a Reno 4x4 member, HYNSTYL. He has a nice Jeep and he was going to work on his brothers to help it sell.

The Inspection Review:
I checked out the Jeep in person, not nearly the gem I thought it was. I saw it on a snowy day when I first saw it. Apparently it hides A LOT. Windshield cracked from top to bottom on passenger side. The paint is VERY faded and nearly gone, it has minor body damage on the front right fender which resulted in chipped paint and some minor rust, same with the nerf-bar front bumper, has big dents and minor rust, the KC lights that are on the front bumper are not even wired up, the hard top is aftermarket, so the rear defrosters on it are not wired up either, the stereo unit has been ripped out of the dash (hence the after market hard top since the perp cut through soft top), the heater control unit doesn't even kick a fan on at all, so not only does the heater not work, nor does the controls to test it out. The blinkers dont work well. The dash, carpet and cloth interior is a little more beat up, stained, and/or faded than it looked through the window, the tires are nearly completely bald, and the nice roof-rack that was originally on there has been removed by HYNSTYL because he wants to keep it or sell it separate. I test drove it, and it drives well. Much more power than my 2.5L. No visible leaks, exhaust header recently replaced, does has a scraping sound when driving. Not sure if the bearings are worthless or lacking lube, or something is caught in the rotor or what.

My Summary:
As far as a strictly off-roader (so cosmetics aside), most of the listed issues are small issues than can be fixed through time. However, my existing Jeep looks great on the exterior and has a working thermal controls and radio.

With the rack removed, and the most issues revealed, I'm not thinking this is the steal I hoped for.

if its just the blower motor that doesn't work that should be an easy fix, either the fuse is blown from when the radio was stolen or there is a probably a problem with the resistor block or fan motor