PDA

View Full Version : where to buy QST magazine?

troutman
February 10th, 2012, 10:27 PM
can't seem to find any amateur radio magazines around town...anybody? (other than suscribing)

RARECJ8
February 10th, 2012, 11:17 PM
to get QST you have to join ARRL. I can store up my old issues as they come in and fwd them ur way.

troutman
February 11th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Oh didn't realize that it was suscription only scenario...thanks for the offer mark, I think I'll just make a donation to ARRL... but I seem to remember (in earlier days) that there were more mags available on this subject. I've visited a number of locations around town seeking these out but to no avail !

Bitosin
February 11th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Unfortunately, Reno doesn't have a Ham Radio Store other than Val who works out of his garage. If you go to the Bay area, Ham Radio Outlet might have some other mags available, but I don't know. When I was in LA I went to Ham Radio World (similar to HRO) and there was a whole magazine rack of publications (mostly paperback books) available.
Ironicly, Radio Shack started out as a Ham store and evolved into CB and finally to where they specialize in cell phones and RC toys.

troutman
February 11th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Thx Bitosin...well I know of CQ, QST and radio amateur...It's really too bad we don't have something local. I may have to resort to suscribing which I'm reluctant to do as it's taken me years to get off the major mailing lists (really tired of all the crap I get in the mail) and by suscribing I'd ruin my efforts in a blink ( dang redbook lol) thx for your guys input

have you been to a "chicken shack" lately ? you ask the youngsters for something simple like a ball mount, hand mike, whip, standing wave meter or the like and they look at you like you're out of your mind ! (maybe I am !)

Bitosin
February 11th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Depending on the store you go into, some have some CB stuff on the shelves, but you have to know what you want and find it yourself. The kids there don't know a resistor from a transformer (they think a transformer is something that changes from a car into a robot). They do have some elementary project kits just to try to maintain their name. It would be nice to see a "real" radio store open up here, even if it was mainly CB to acomodate the truckers.

leifnv
February 12th, 2012, 07:41 AM
http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/

PhantomRage
February 12th, 2012, 08:05 AM
The only CB style shops in town are at the truck stop. And they hire tweakers to turn potentiometers and open the coils on the TX circuit to get so called "swing" out of the transmitter. Then cut the limiter diode to make the TX audio sound like garbage. All this with a Dosy meter to show the customer that the CB radio is now putting out 30 watts with over 100% modulation.

And yes, I have used that so called shop at the "peet-trow" as the truckers call it. So I know what they do.