PDA

View Full Version : A rant on society...

bdevr
August 10th, 2012, 11:52 AM
WTF is it with society today? Has it always been about "screw everybody else as long as I get mine? From people trying to take advantage of others or ripping them off to spammers and scammers on craigslist. Peoople wanting everyone else to pay for their **** while they sit at home and do nothing or the slackers at work riding the coattails of those with an actual work ethic. The Nigerian prince's scamming the elderly to these a$$holes shooting into crowds of people. Have we gone into such a decline in society that you really can't trust anyone? It seems like we all get immense joy out of other peoples pains or misfortunes... I left Boston because of the F everyone else mentality there. Don't get me wrong, in general the people of this area are MUCH friendlier than the midatlantic states, but in general it just seems that people suck. I have this moral dilemna with raising my son. I try to teach him right from wrong, "do unto others", hold the door for women or the elderly, be respectful, work for what you want and remember your pleases and thank you's but then I wonder if I'm just raising a sucker. Is there ANY hope that things will get better? Is 35 to young to be this much of a curmudgeon?

Reeves
August 10th, 2012, 01:29 PM
I swear I'm not stalking you...:D

Hear hear!! I made the move for the same reasons (plus I hate humidity).

Teach your kids right, treat those around you with respect and how you wish to be treated. Good will prevail in the long run. I think the problem with our society today is the general message taught is to look after yourself and money is king, fawk the rest and those around you. We have turned into such a selfish, money grubbing society that we have nearly let go of the morals that our parents and grandparents grew up with and tried to impress upon us. Unfortunately greed and self promotion had taken precedence, and our society is spiraling down the drain. Hopefully the bad will crash and burn and those who teach there kids right and help the success of their peers will prevail in the end. Karma's a b!tch.

Yet another reason why I get pissed when I log on here and see people sh!ting all over each other for no real reason. Basic breaking balls aside, it gets a bit out of hand...

McNasty
August 10th, 2012, 01:29 PM
No, I'm 29 and don't like people in general. I agree that society has gone down hill a bit, but I think social media and the internet make it more prevalent. These types of people have always been around it's just easier to scam people from the comfort of you living room over the internet than going door to door selling snake oil. As far as the other wackos they have always been around too, we just get it crammed sown our throats constantly from every angle, where it used to just be the local news on tv, the radio, and the paper.

jennypenny
August 11th, 2012, 09:58 AM
I can honestly say that without a doubt society has been going down and it's not just you who feels that way. I think while raising kids those values need to be instilled in them. I still hold doors for people, say please and thank you, and excuse me. If I would ever have kids, I would definitely teach them these kinds of morals and teach them that it's okay to get where you want, just not at the expense of others. You can get ahead the right way and do things in an honest way. It seems as though you can never really get anyone to say these terms to one another and if you do you're the sucker. I hate it.

WhiskeyTango
August 11th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I completely understand your thinking on this one.. People are getting crazier by the day. However, it's not everyone who falls into this category. Keep teaching your son those good moral values and, sucker or not, he will still turn out to be a better person than those whom you spoke of. It's still important, and it still matters, a lot! Let the losers of society take themselves down their own road of failure and just general jackassery. It won't matter to him at all. He will end up seeing what's real and important rather than those whose every move depends on what the Kardashians are up to. I have a son as well... Just turned 13 and he has pretty good social etiquette. Holds doors, please/thank you, looks you in the eye, etc. (some of you have met him) These are just the small things in life, but be assured that these things do matter to some folks. They matter to me. I have nothing but respect for those out there who keep it going. We need that. So keep up the good work! Ultimately, I think that the good will still override the negative. I'm sure you know people who are great people, either friends or family, and sometimes it's good to remember that. I know it still can be frustrating, (I know personally), but that's what separates those who will be successful, (job, family, quality friends, etc), from those who will just never get it.

David Horn
August 11th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I performed a service in public schools for years where I had to carry tools and ladders all the time.As I would try to walk down hallways with a ladder in one hand , and tools in the other , the kids would see me and not move out of the way , or hold doors . I believe these practices are started at home. I know my kids would never do that and actually enjoy helping people in this respect. It's pretty nice getting a smile and a thanks for such a small thing.This is one of the reasons I like the 4 wheel community. Have you ever noticed what happens on this site when some one posts up that they are stuck , or has a problem they need help with? I believe this is a rare occurance these days of every one out for themselfs. The 4 wheel community is awsome and most , not all , but most are willing to go out of there way to help a fellow wheeler.

Waylander
August 11th, 2012, 11:45 AM
keep teaching him those good morals. but also teach him to be aware that not everyone is honest and respectfull so that he is not made out to be a sucker by someone.
Having good morals doesnt make you naive.

litlmeck
August 11th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Why do you think alcohol sales are so high in this country?

chevydan3
August 12th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Today, morals and ethics are dictated by pop culture and lazy parents. More kids are growing up in broken homes than not. People having kids before mom and dad even know eachother or establish a stable home, let alone get married. The easy way out triumphs over personal responsibility: divorce, welfare, unemployment benefits, debt forgiveness, etc. Society teaches that you have pity on yourself and that nothing is your own fault. Rather than deal with life's problems we medicate ourselves with antidepressants, alcohol, marijuana, and various other stimulants. It all in an effort to live in a constant state of denial rather than pulling up the bootstraps and working things out. Morals and ethics are formed by many influences; educators, hollywood, the media, music, etc, but if your morals are based off of a religious upbringing or belief then you are labeled as intolerant. 4 words: white, male, conservative, christian. Today, it is okay to be anything you want to be except for any combination of 3 of those 4 words.