PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing/Irrigation Gurus...

chevydan3
August 25th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Question about my sprinkler system.

My water meter is on the northwest corner of my lot, at the bottom of my driveway, by the sidewalk. From there, the 3/4" mainline goes up alongside the driveway and around to the back of the garage, before going under the footing and into the pressure regulator under the house. I tapped the mainline before it goes under the foundation and ran a 1" pvc to my backflow preventer and then onto my "manifold" which contains 3 3/4" valves for the sprinkler system in my backyard.

I need to get 1 or 2 circuits run into my front yard so that I no longer have to hose water it. I obviously don't want to run it back around the garage (north and west sides) because my front lawn is on the opposite side of the driveway. Running it around the back (south and east sides) of the house and into the frontyard isn't really feasible either because I have a concrete patio that goes basically all the way across the back of my house and butts up to the fence on the east side. So running the new sprinkler circuits from the back of my house around to front would involve saw cutting my driveway or patio and concrete patching, which I don't really care to do. This leaves me with the crawlspace, and my question(s).

Is it okay to run irrigation lines from the outside valves, under the house and back out to the front yard? I am worried about the pipes freezing or bursting. Also, if this is possible, is it better to run copper under the house. I know that in my trade (electrical) running pvc in a house is generally a no-no due to fumes in case of a fire, but does it matter on plumbing in a crawlspace? Is this all just a dumb pipe dream?

MrWillys
August 25th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Being a Carpenter (Master Craft), I'd run it in copper. You shouldn't have to worry about freezing, because you will drain these off in the winter. Also, I doubt that underneath your house would freeze. You could consider schedule 40 PVC?
How about teeing off the water under the house in copper, and running out front. Then install the stations independent from the system in the back?

PhantomRage
August 25th, 2012, 05:19 PM
could ask our plumber KN0CW..

chevydan3
August 25th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Being a Carpenter (Master Craft), I'd run it in copper. You shouldn't have to worry about freezing, because you will drain these off in the winter. Also, I doubt that underneath your house would freeze. You could consider schedule 40 PVC?
How about teeing off the water under the house in copper, and running out front. Then install the stations independent from the system in the back?

Oh yeah, winter. I'm a little slow sometimes. I agree that copper is 1000x less hack. As far as teeing off the existing plumbing, I have thought about that, but the pressure regulator would be in front of the sprinklers, which doesn't work very well. That is why I had to redo my back yard, the po ran the system after the pressure regulator and the sprinklers struggled to osclliate. I suppose I could tee the pipe before the PR, but it is literally 3 ft from the existing valve setup so I would be running the same amount of pipe. I really just want to make sure that it is okay to running irrigation under the house.

MrWillys
August 25th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Okay, after a brief glance through a 1991 UPC code book. Once irrigation piping becomes non-potable, beyond a back flow device, and outside the structure it is not governed by the code body. Because you plan on keeping it inside the structure it is subject to current code standards. Therefore, keep it potable whether through copper, or one of the newer plastic interior standards until it reaches the exterior of the footing wall would be my advice, and then return to irrigation standards.