PDA

View Full Version : good audio center?

whatadisaster
January 19th, 2007, 05:40 PM
does anyone know of a good audio center that has pretty cheap merch and cheap installation?

kairo
January 19th, 2007, 05:48 PM
what are you looking to get done? Audio Express advertises "Install for just a $1"
I bought a head unit from the once, and their sales people were jerks.

whatadisaster
January 19th, 2007, 06:38 PM
well, i've actually heard that their installers suck...my friend got something installed there and then the wiring actually caught fire and burnt his dash pretty badly...so i'm going to try and stay away from them.
i'm basically looking for a cd/mp3 player for now. i'll worry about new speakers and such later

cblood™
January 19th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Audio express has always done me right!

kairo
January 19th, 2007, 06:48 PM
the key to finding a quality install is finding a shop where the installer isnt 20 years old.

Cagle
January 19th, 2007, 07:04 PM
whats cheep? most good decks cost from $300 to $650? some of the guys on here could probably help you install it. you can go to ebay and look up sonicelectronix the deck I used was 1/2 price. new with the harness and the install kit. sound solutionz on Glendale are good installers.

kairo
January 19th, 2007, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=cagle;76791 some of the guys on here could probably help you install it..[/QUOTE]

no kidding. I've done more than my share of CJ / wrangler deck installs. those are actually really easy compared to....well anything:sick:

whatadisaster
January 19th, 2007, 07:10 PM
ok, well, if i buy a super cheap thing for like $150, would that be good enough until i get more money cause right now i have nothing...the pos in my jeep doesnt work and its a stupid cassette player.

kairo
January 19th, 2007, 07:11 PM
what make/model of deck are you looking at?

if you're only gonna spend $150 this go round, let audio express do it. they cant screw up a YJ install that bad.

Cagle
January 19th, 2007, 07:15 PM
will a 05 lj deck fit in that hole I have the stock cd/sirius deck on my bench.go to that site and look at decks no bs they are 1/2 price and not crap.

whatadisaster
January 19th, 2007, 07:15 PM
thats true...well, i went there to look at their selection and i think i was looking at samsung or sanyo...something like that

whatadisaster
January 19th, 2007, 07:20 PM
will a 05 lj deck fit in that hole I have the stock cd/sirius deck on my bench.go to that site and look at decks no bs they are 1/2 price and not crap.

i just tried to look that up and nothing came up...

kairo
January 19th, 2007, 07:22 PM
i just tried to look that up and nothing came up...

it should fit. At any rate, you're only looking at a $10 adapter bezel if it doesnt

Cagle
January 19th, 2007, 07:26 PM
a stock deck is 8.25"x 3.25"

Connect
January 19th, 2007, 07:47 PM
I'd reccomend the Pioneer P5800MP deck for $200 just about everywhere. I would NOT go to audio express, they screw **** up bad and do it half assed to boot, and thats after they rip you off for speakers they NEVER INSTALL. Their employees are Deee dee deeee and know nothing.

Install it yourself or go to a custom car audio shop. If you got any questions about stereo stuff ask me or RenoHiltonGambler

whatadisaster
January 19th, 2007, 07:48 PM
alright, cool. thanks guys.
:rolleyes: you probably all think i'm some stupid girl now...haha

72 Virginians
January 19th, 2007, 08:46 PM
1. Stereo install w/o all of the speakers, amps, etc is one of the easiest things you can do with your rig. Head unit, adapter, and wiring kit is all you need. Since it's a YJ, I wouldn't spend more that 150 on a head unit since it could easily be stolen.

2. A new stock head unit will have a hart time fitting in the dash of a YJ. And the wiring wouldn't match up. Lots of pain in the @$$ work if ya ask me.

3. A case of beer would be sufficient payment for something like that.

4. Just in case any of these lonley web wheelers ask for pics of you with or without your rig:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/NVXJ/misc%20stuff/agirl.jpg

SaharaTJ
January 19th, 2007, 09:02 PM
x2 on Sound Solutionz on Glendale in Sparks. Just had a new Kenwood CD player installed Saturday last week. $180.00 for the unit, $30.00 wiring kit, and $50.00 for the install. They did it in about 40 minutes and they got me right in. Lifetime warranty on labor, 1 year warranty on the unit.

whatadisaster
January 19th, 2007, 09:35 PM
1. Stereo install w/o all of the speakers, amps, etc is one of the easiest things you can do with your rig. Head unit, adapter, and wiring kit is all you need. Since it's a YJ, I wouldn't spend more that 150 on a head unit since it could easily be stolen.

2. A new stock head unit will have a hart time fitting in the dash of a YJ. And the wiring wouldn't match up. Lots of pain in the @$$ work if ya ask me.

3. A case of beer would be sufficient payment for something like that.

4. Just in case any of these lonley web wheelers ask for pics of you with or without your rig:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/NVXJ/misc%20stuff/agirl.jpg

haha, thanks...

kairo
January 19th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I didn't even realize she was a girl. Now where's the leg humping smiley..... :nono:

kairo
January 19th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Install it yourself or go to a custom car audio shop. If you got any questions about stereo stuff ask me or RenoHiltonGambler

I don't know anything about it???? :(

72 Virginians
January 19th, 2007, 09:42 PM
I didn't even realize she was a girl. Now where's the leg humping smiley..... :nono:

:nono:
Behave or I'll have to report you.

kairo
January 19th, 2007, 09:44 PM
:nono:
Behave or I'll have to report you.

to whom? I run this show :D I answer only to the big "D"

72 Virginians
January 19th, 2007, 09:45 PM
to whom? I run this show :D I answer only to the big "D"

I remember seeing a pic of a PYT you posted over in the "wenches" thread. :redface:

kairo
January 19th, 2007, 09:47 PM
ok, I concede defeat :nervous:

whatadisaster
January 19th, 2007, 09:48 PM
ok boys, behave now...lol

72 Virginians
January 19th, 2007, 09:49 PM
ok, I concede defeat :nervous:

:nuke:

kairo
January 19th, 2007, 09:51 PM
:bs:

72 Virginians
January 19th, 2007, 09:57 PM
:vader:

CashMoney
January 20th, 2007, 02:00 AM
what are you looking to get done? Audio Express advertises "Install for just a $1"
I bought a head unit from the once, and their sales people were jerks.

well, i've actually heard that their installers suck...my friend got something installed there and then the wiring actually caught fire and burnt his dash pretty badly...so i'm going to try and stay away from them.
i'm basically looking for a cd/mp3 player for now. i'll worry about new speakers and such later

Don't use them, crappy prices, and in high school I had some friends that used to get paid to go steal the stuff they put in peoples cars back so they could sell it again. They also put a deck in my shop teachers 67 mustang and cut all the wiring for the car and I had to rewire that, another one of my friends thats owns a diesel repair biz in elko had them put in a deck in his brand new ford super duty and they fried his computer and told him it was the trucks fault...he was pissed cause he drove it in there and had to tow it out.
I've installed a lot of pioneer decks in the diesel trucks at my work and they seem to hold up to the vibration and abuse my drivers put them through, I jus saw one on summits site for 125 bucks thats jus like the ones I was using in the Peterbilts : Pioneer DEH-2800MP In-Dash CD Receivers
if u need help installing let me know :rock:

Reno Computer Repair
January 20th, 2007, 02:07 AM
I pickup up a new Alpine CD/MP3/IPOD deck from Yahoo shopping last year for 150.00. The same one in town that all the stores wanted 300-250 for. We got the mounting kit & harness for 19.00.

One hour later we were in action.:thumbsup:

So just buy a deck, mounting bracket & wiring harness & we will help you install it.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/renohomes/wranglercomputer003.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/renohomes/wranglercomputer004.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/renohomes/wranglercomputer001.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/renohomes/BMW%20ALL/BMWSTEREO2006.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/renohomes/BMW%20ALL/alljeepsummer06266.jpg

CashMoney
January 20th, 2007, 02:10 AM
nice install, pretty clean :thumbsup:

whatadisaster
January 20th, 2007, 07:07 AM
hey thanks guys, i really appreciate it

72 Virginians
January 20th, 2007, 09:18 AM
nice install, pretty clean :thumbsup:

Kev knows his sh!t. I wish I had a pic of the install on the XJ. I'll probably remove all of it since she's only a trail rig and I don't thump owhile wheelin that much. Besiders, the subs take up valubale room for trail gear like tools, parts, beer, etc.

CashMoney
January 20th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Kev knows his sh!t. I wish I had a pic of the install on the XJ. I'll probably remove all of it since she's only a trail rig and I don't thump owhile wheelin that much. Besiders, the subs take up valubale room for trail gear like tools, parts, beer, etc.

hehe beer, u crack me up. You got sub's and stuff in the cherokee and here I am in the TJ tryin to figure out where i'm goin to put all the crap I wanna take with me and that theres absolutly not goin to be room for aftermaket subs, but like ya say you don't need them on the trail

Reno Computer Repair
January 21st, 2007, 02:00 AM
JL Audio makes Stealth Boxes for the TJ, with no lost room!!!

Speaker Works makes Aperiodic enlosures that take up no room!!!

And then there are those center-consoles with the sub in the base of the unit!!

CashMoney
January 21st, 2007, 02:03 AM
Where do the stealth boxes mount? I got the factory sub in the console but it kinda sucks and even if I put a bigger one it probally wouldn't be to much better. I think they are only a 5 inch in the console, and I can't run the one on the back of the console cause thats where my cb is mounted:scratch:

Charlie
January 21st, 2007, 06:20 AM
I know this might have some running away screaming, but I've had good luck with Circuit City's guys. They have a lot of quality 'open box' stuff at discounts. I brought them a basket case of a Jimmy and they did a good install, that aside from the 2 12" subs is pretty stealthy. After a week or so of listening to it, and trying to figure out what all the controls were :scratch: , I went to Pizza night and had Connect and RHG help explain what all the crap was for (i.e. 80 and 125 Hz thingies, loudness settings, sub-something-or-others, fades, etc...:scratch: :knokwood: ) and now I'm on my way to being an audiophile extrordinaire. :D

Sauce
January 21st, 2007, 10:01 AM
crutchfield sells an install kit and it comes with instructions on how to take apart your dash. If you haven't done this before, I would highly recommend them!

Reno Computer Repair
January 21st, 2007, 11:37 AM
Dune Racer,

I have a Speaker Works Aperiodic Membrane Enclosure that measures about 16X16X8 That will fit a 15" Sub. The Sub has to be of high quality with a QTS of .25-+. I will post some pics if you are interested. I had a JL Audio Dual Voice coil sub in the box getting 400 watts. It hits with a clean fast bass rather that the boomy distorted garbage normaly associated with a 15" sub.

I had it mounted in my Probe GT years ago, but lost interest in the IASCA Pro Competitions because we were getting nailed by bottomless wallet check writers at each event.:(

CashMoney
January 21st, 2007, 03:52 PM
hum I don't have anywhere I can fit that the backs starting to fill up with stuff i need to take

Reno Computer Repair
January 21st, 2007, 10:41 PM
How about a couple Bazooka Tube subs, they should fit right behind the front seats on the floor. Think they are 7" X 15"....

CashMoney
January 22nd, 2007, 02:38 AM
maybe one of those because I can take it out easy if need be. First thing I need to do before any stereo stuff is get an alarm hehe and maybe some auto start action:D

Reno Computer Repair
January 22nd, 2007, 03:14 AM
X2..The FIRST thing I did when I got the Wrangler was install the alarm & auto start.

The funny sh!t is when I forget to leave it out of gear & then hit remote start:nervous:

Charlie
January 22nd, 2007, 05:23 AM
I had it mounted in my Probe GT years ago :(

:lolrun: :lolrun: :woot: :roll: :roll: :rofl:

CashMoney
January 22nd, 2007, 11:22 PM
X2..The FIRST thing I did when I got the Wrangler was install the alarm & auto start.

The funny sh!t is when I forget to leave it out of gear & then hit remote start:nervous:

hehe ya that is the only thing kinda worryin me...But I would feel a lot better with a good alarm and I'm goin to make some kinda fuel pump disable switch or somethin, I did see a pretty cool one on ORO's web site that some guy invented check it out:
https://secure48.mysecureorder.net/offroadonly/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=237&osCsid=8eedb479381879679265ccef143b3b56