PDA

View Full Version : Diesels to increase in 2014

gunrunner1911
August 28th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Auto makers are going to increase the diesel options one many light trucks and cars for 2014. Maybe the coveted Liberty diesel will be back.
http://autos.yahoo.com/news/diesel-comeback--model-tally-set-to-double-for-2014-184447278.html

Rubiconthomas
August 28th, 2013, 10:02 AM
I'm optimistic. Judging from the vehicles available in Europe and the successes they've had there, It could prove to be a good move.

cherokeegarrett
August 28th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Eh, well just see an increase in American diesel garbage. I doubt we will see the return of the 50mpg Jetta TDI or even better yet America allowing Toyota to bring their diesels into the country, which would dominate the market!

gunrunner1911
August 28th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Nissan is bringing it with a 5.0 v8 in their truck. It's in the article.

seal13il
August 28th, 2013, 06:46 PM
nere saw/drove or knew of a Nissan V8 disel...must be new, all I had were 3.0 TD and the older one I had (1994) had the 2.8 TD......and that 3.0 TD was a monster!!

A Home To Envy
August 28th, 2013, 06:50 PM
5.0 Cummins in that Nissan, cool!

ammowaster
August 28th, 2013, 07:58 PM
I was all about it until I saw the premiums everyone wants for a diesel. A few of the VW cars arent bad but that grand cherokee is silly.

I really wish we could get the equivalent to a hilux here. Every big manufacturer makes one. Plain everything, boxed frame, tie downs on exterior of the bed(who woulda thought we want to tie stuff down), and a little diesel or gas motor.

While I am dreaming I would like to state that it still blows my mind that none of the big domestic makers wish to challenge jeep to the wrangler market. I just dont get it.

gunrunner1911
August 29th, 2013, 06:01 AM
I should have reread it I forgot Cummins was providing the power for Nissan. Sort of a reverse Isuzu / Gm deal.
Considering the GM 4.3 v6 that was in the s10 and the even worse inine 5 Colorado that replaced it I would be up for a small diesel in a small truck that could legitimately replace a 1500.

Flazer
August 30th, 2013, 11:49 AM
I should have reread it I forgot Cummins was providing the power for Nissan. Sort of a reverse Isuzu / Gm deal.
Considering the GM 4.3 v6 that was in the s10 and the even worse inine 5 Colorado that replaced it I would be up for a small diesel in a small truck that could legitimately replace a 1500.

I'm 100% with you. If Nissan was putting the diesel in their Frontier, I'd be all over it. But, with my next car purchase coming up in the next few years, I'll be giving the Titan a good look, because it's an option, but to encourage growth in Diesel offerings. That Mazda6 doesn't look half bad either, especially if they can crank out an AWD version.

ammowaster
August 30th, 2013, 11:54 AM
I doubt it will be available in awd but I hope they offer it. I want a damn diesel outback or better yet the new crosstrek

Apparently so do 373 other fools:D
https://www.facebook.com/AmericawantstheSuburuXvCrosstrekTurboDiesel

I remember a older episode of top gear where they did a mpg challenge and the legacy wagon diesel won it. They said it was gutless but I think it got over 60mpg. I dont know how to do the imperial conversion but that is still decent mileage for a awd wagon.

ChickenLittle
August 30th, 2013, 01:25 PM
I want a diesel klr650 in a bad way

seal13il
August 30th, 2013, 01:43 PM

is there a good way?

Motorsport Tech
August 30th, 2013, 02:01 PM

Insert Homer Simpson drool sounds..

ammowaster
August 30th, 2013, 02:09 PM
I want to ride one first. I hear they are quite a bit more gutless than the gas version which is pretty bad. They do get awesome mileage though.

I was on their mailing list at one point but the problem is the bike was about the same price as a kitted up GS which is a no brainer for me.

DirtyChemist
August 30th, 2013, 02:48 PM
I was all about it until I saw the premiums everyone wants for a diesel. A few of the VW cars arent bad but that grand cherokee is silly.

I really wish we could get the equivalent to a hilux here. Every big manufacturer makes one. Plain everything, boxed frame, tie downs on exterior of the bed(who woulda thought we want to tie stuff down), and a little diesel or gas motor.

While I am dreaming I would like to state that it still blows my mind that none of the big domestic makers wish to challenge jeep to the wrangler market. I just dont get it.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1310-a-new-dawn-for-diesel-the-latest-powerplants/

Reasons some won't challenge Jeep and others consider it.

gunrunner1911
August 30th, 2013, 04:15 PM
To the topic of the KLR I often wondered how the diesel Polaris Sportsmans were. I purchased 2 Sportsmans about the same time frame they were available and briefly looked at the diesel.

CashMoney
August 30th, 2013, 05:36 PM
To the topic of the KLR I often wondered how the diesel Polaris Sportsmans were. I purchased 2 Sportsmans about the same time frame they were available and briefly looked at the diesel.

I heard they were pretty gutless

ammowaster
August 31st, 2013, 01:57 AM
I heard they were pretty gutless

I heard the same. Talked to a guy with a diesel mule and he bought it because the range was great but you better not be on a hurry

seal13il
August 31st, 2013, 07:31 AM
I have a couple of these in the warehouse....never drove them.....but I guess I'll have to now...so I can compare...LOL

Flazer
August 31st, 2013, 08:06 AM
I doubt it will be available in awd but I hope they offer it. I want a damn diesel outback or better yet the new crosstrek

Apparently so do 373 other fools:D
https://www.facebook.com/AmericawantstheSuburuXvCrosstrekTurboDiesel

I remember a older episode of top gear where they did a mpg challenge and the legacy wagon diesel won it. They said it was gutless but I think it got over 60mpg. I dont know how to do the imperial conversion but that is still decent mileage for a awd wagon.

Ya, my wife wants a new outback, and a diesel would seal the deal for me. I also like that crosstrek. But, Subaru has done a good job of bumping up their mpg. I can dream though.

ammowaster
August 31st, 2013, 09:20 AM
http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1310-a-new-dawn-for-diesel-the-latest-powerplants/

Reasons some won't challenge Jeep and others consider it.

I just meant in general not with diesel. It blows my mind that nobody else makes a jeep type vehicle. Bring back the bronco or blazer done right

gunrunner1911
August 31st, 2013, 05:19 PM
I just meant in general not with diesel. It blows my mind that nobody else makes a jeep type vehicle. Bring back the bronco or blazer done right

I have always been a Mustang guy. Loved my 67 even though it had a lot of problems and I had little funds to attend to them. Finally was able to purchase a 2002 when they started looking good again. when the 05 body hit the street I was in heaven.
NOW bring back a retro mid seventies style Bronco and I'm going to have a hard time not buying one. With all the retro styled cars coming out and some doing a very good job at making retro style models that haven't existed in 20 yrs + it HAS to be a no brainer.

CashMoney
August 31st, 2013, 06:06 PM
If gm and ford brought back their rigs with the power plants they have now jeep would suffer tremendously. Especially if they had solid front axles.

ammowaster
August 31st, 2013, 07:20 PM
If gm and ford brought back their rigs with the power plants they have now jeep would suffer tremendously. Especially if they had solid front axles.

I think the bronco II would have done well with a solid axle and it was a piece of trash.

Make a new version of the original bronco with a base v6, 5.0, and then the new transit diesel Bam brilliant!!!!!