PDA

View Full Version : Optima Batterys

Sierra Valley
February 26th, 2007, 10:36 AM
So where is the cheapest place to get the Optima batteries here in town. Looking for a red top, eventually plan to run two batteries but only need one for now.

BTW, whats the difference between the deep cycle blue and yellow ones and the red top?

72 Virginians
February 26th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I picked mine at Summit for 105 on a sale they had in 05. I think they're 125 now.

MR.ROCKAPE
February 26th, 2007, 10:50 AM
So where is the cheapest place to get the Optima batteries here in town. Looking for a red top, eventually plan to run two batteries but only need one for now.

BTW, whats the difference between the deep cycle blue and yellow ones and the red top?

BLUE IS MARINE,YELLOW IS DEEP CYCLE AND RED IS A REGULAR CAR BATTERY!!!!I THINK COSTCO IS THE CHEAPEST NOW......THATS WHERE I GOT MY LAST ONE!!!!!:thumbsup:

GloNDark
February 26th, 2007, 10:51 AM
I picked mine at Summit for 105 on a sale they had in 05. I think they're 125 now.

Costco usually has them as well. I have 2 blue tops in my cruiser currently. So far they have lasted longer then the red top that I had previously. Not sure exactly what the differences are between them. My dad bought my first one as a present, and I bought the second to match. :D

NoBrainR
February 26th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Cheapest I've seen lately is Pep boys. Cheaper than summit. Used to be if you used a winch on a red top, you void the warrenty. Both blue and yellow are deep cycle, blue being for marine use, and slightly more expensive than yellow. Red has the longest warrenty (as long as you don't winch on it).

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/home.html

fogger25
February 26th, 2007, 10:58 AM
how would they know if you winched it????

Sierra Valley
February 26th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Well I will most definitely be winching with this battery. I dont see why it should be a problem. I have two buddies that are running dual red tops in there rigs.

Anyhow, I'll maybe check out pep boys and costco.

Thanks

Sierra Valley
February 26th, 2007, 10:59 AM

x2

4x Adventurer
February 26th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Red is a Starting battery, best for Hot Rods or Classic cars that sit along time between drives.
Yellow and Blue are both Deep cycle/ Starting, Good for winching, Headlights/driving lights/ Big Stereo on for long periods of time with out the motor running. Yellow has top and side terminals. Blue has Top and Screw terminals.

My 2 cents....
As Recommended by the battery dealer, I use Yellow Top in my F-350. It's not my daily driver; it sees long periods of Off-Road lights and Stereo on while parked. It works great so far. As for my daily driver I run an Interstate Wet Cell. Roll over spill risk in minimum. They last just a long if started daily, and cost a lot less.

NoBrainR
February 26th, 2007, 11:19 AM

AFAIK the spiral wraps in the red tops are thinner, and will warp/distort, and when they pop the top on it, they won't be able to tell that you winched on it, only that you've applied large loads to it. The yellow top plates are thicker and will withstand the heat better.

Beyond that, IDFK, it's just what the warrenty says.

I think that if you were running dual red tops, in parallel while winching, you should be fine. But that's just my opinion. BTW, I run a yellow. First one I ran gave out after about 3 years, which was after the warrenty.

Air Sierra
February 26th, 2007, 11:22 AM
I run the yellow top in my jeep going on 2 years now with winching ,listen to the radio all night long and no problems at all using the yellow top...

Cagle
February 26th, 2007, 11:44 AM
I have a good stock battery that I took out $20

MR.ROCKAPE
February 26th, 2007, 11:55 AM
THE YELLOW AND BLUE TOPS CAN AND WILL BE HARDER ON YOUR CHARING SYSTEM IN A DAILY DRIVER!!!!SINCE THEY ARE DEEP CYCLES THEY DISCHARGE AT A SLOWER RATE THAN THE RED TOP.THEY ALSO TAKE LONGER ON RECHARING TO CAPACITY AND WILL BE WORKING YOUR ALTERNATOR MUCH HARDER THAN A RED TOP!!!!!!

AND IF YOU STILL HAVE THE CRAPPY JEEP CHARING SYSTEM(WITH THE EXTERNAL REG???)I WOULD UPGRADE TO A CHEVY 10si OR 12si INTERNALLY REGULATED ALT!!!!(YOUR WEAK AT BEST HEADLIGHTS....... WILL THANK YOU!!!!!!

Connect
February 26th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Yellow top for sure, don't waste your money with the red top :P j/k

However you can pick up marine deep-cycles from wally world for $47 a pop, I have no complaints with mine as of yet, listen to the radio all day long and can leave my headlights on for extended periods of time with no fuss.

MR.ROCKAPE
February 26th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Yellow top for sure, don't waste your money with the red top :P j/k

However you can pick up marine deep-cycles from wally world for $47 a pop, I have no complaints with mine as of yet, listen to the radio all day long AT THE MALL and can leave my headlights on for extended periods of time with no fuss.WHEN TRYING TO SIGNAL SECURITY WHEN I GET HIGH CENTERED ON SPEED BUMPS!!!!

:sick: :sick: :sick:

MALL CRAWLER RATED............

Sierra Valley
February 26th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Im running a 140 amp alternator from Summit!

Im thinking the red top will suffice for my needs, I will be running dual batts anyways in the near future as Im going to put some rock lights underneath my rig and run some spot lights off of my windshield mounts.

72 Virginians
February 26th, 2007, 12:11 PM
THE YELLOW AND BLUE TOPS CAN AND WILL BE HARDER ON YOUR CHARING SYSTEM IN A DAILY DRIVER!!!!SINCE THEY ARE DEEP CYCLES THEY DISCHARGE AT A SLOWER RATE THAN THE RED TOP.THEY ALSO TAKE LONGER ON RECHARING TO CAPACITY AND WILL BE WORKING YOUR ALTERNATOR MUCH HARDER THAN A RED TOP!!!!!!

AND IF YOU STILL HAVE THE CRAPPY JEEP CHARING SYSTEM(WITH THE EXTERNAL REG???)I WOULD UPGRADE TO A CHEVY 10si OR 12si INTERNALLY REGULATED ALT!!!!(YOUR WEAK AT BEST HEADLIGHTS....... WILL THANK YOU!!!!!!

Good point :thumbsup:
The XJ sometimes has periods of time where I won't start it for a couple of weeks. I might upgrade to a yellow top and use the Red top for the TJ (DD). Might also upgrade to a Mean Green altenator at the same time.

NoBrainR
February 26th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I actually think (think) that my premier power welder cooked my first yellow top. Whether it was operator error or not, not sure, but IIRC, yellow tops don't want the high amp/volt charge. Which doesn't make sense, since you can put a high amp draw on them. :scratch:

Connect
February 26th, 2007, 12:15 PM
MALL CRAWLER RATED............

you know how we roll :thumbsup:

ManNamedJed
February 26th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I just bought batteries for my CJ5. I checked out Optimas at costco. I think one was $145 (red I think) and yellow was $160. Ouch! I know they are supposedly the best, but I picked up two marine starting batteries at Walmart for $90. For that price, I'll replace them twice as often and still come out ahead.

BTW - Tomken's dual battery tray went in super easy. Nice piece considering its almost half as much as the mean green ones.

Sierra Valley
February 26th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I just bought batteries for my CJ5. I checked out Optimas at costco. I think one was $145 (red I think) and yellow was $160. Ouch! I know they are supposedly the best, but I picked up two marine starting batteries at Walmart for $90. For that price, I'll replace them twice as often and still come out ahead.

BTW - Tomken's dual battery tray went in super easy. Nice piece considering its almost half as much as the mean green ones.

Hmm maybe I will got his route as well. Were they 90 a piece?

Also, how much was the dual battery tray?

Air Sierra
February 26th, 2007, 01:27 PM
You know SV they only have a couple year warranty so I would wait at least a year to buy one..
I don't think they will cover a battery that goes bad because the jeep never moves and is just sitting in a shop for 2 years....

olsen_karl
February 26th, 2007, 02:04 PM
One other note: apparently it's bad to connect a winch to the side terminals on an Optima; they want you to wire the winch to the main top terminals, and move your starting/charging connections over to the side terminals. Something to do with the side terminals not having as thick internal connections.

No experience with this myself, just what I've read. YMMV.

MR.ROCKAPE
February 26th, 2007, 02:07 PM
One other note: apparently it's bad to connect a winch to the side terminals on an Optima; they want you to wire the winch to the main top terminals, and move your starting/charging connections over to the side terminals. Something to do with the side terminals not having as thick internal connections.

No experience with this myself, just what I've read. YMMV.

I HAVE READ THAT TOO.THEY SAY IT WILL RUIN THE BATTERY IF A WINCH IS CONNECTED TO THE SIDE TERMINALS..............MINE IS THERE!!!!BUT IT DOESNT GET ALOT OF USE!!!!!!

ManNamedJed
February 26th, 2007, 06:54 PM
No the batteries were $45 ish each - marine starting batteries the same basic dimensions as the Optimas (10.5 x7 if I remember right) - Model 24M I think. The Northtowne walmart had two more as of last week, Pyramid had one. Pyramid Costco had a bunch of optimas, but at the prices I listed earlier.

Battery tray was $90. I ordered direct from Tomken and they took their time shipping. I see Collins Bros. has them as well. I just hooked them together, nothing fancy.

Previously I had an 'Orbital' some kind of Kragen knock Optima knock off. It worked well, but turns out it can't handle being parked in the garage for two months with the radio on (dog manages to turn it on whenever she's in it). That ran it realllly dead and it wouldn't hold a charge anymore.

renojeepster
February 26th, 2007, 10:14 PM
I run two Red tops, and one sat dead for a couple months, and it now wont hold a charge. I am thinking of going with the yellow tops.