PDA

View Full Version : Water heater went out

Pariah
October 24th, 2013, 10:58 PM
The pilot light on out water heater will not stay lit. We can get it to ignite but it immediately goes out when we let go of the reset button (even after holding the reset button for a couple minutes after the pilot light ignites like the directions instruct). Anyone have any suggestions on what could be wrong? Anyone have a recommendation on a technician to have come look at it?

owenst7
October 24th, 2013, 11:46 PM
Pilot light thermistor.

xkmacx86
October 25th, 2013, 04:25 AM
Depending on the model unit you may be able to source parts locally. Try cleaning the pilot for starters.

Gizmatical Fuquad
October 25th, 2013, 04:28 AM
Go to Home Depot or Lowe's an buy a new thermocouple, it takes about 15 minutes to change it out. Take the bad one out first so you can make sure you bet the correct replacement.

If you aren't sure what it is, look on the control valve and locate the small tube that runs from the control valve down to the burner. A small wrench and a screwdriver should be all you need for the job.

Desertdog77
October 25th, 2013, 04:31 AM
Roughly how old is this heater?

Does it have a "spark" igniter(Like a BBQ)?

troutman
October 25th, 2013, 06:41 AM
If the pilot flame is anything other than blue, like others have mentioned, clean the pilot, they often get clogged with carbon and happens frequently if you have had a low gas pressure condition.

Pariah
October 25th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. It was the thermocouple that went bad. Kind of a bastard to take out and replace on our water heater but its working now. Thanks again!

tahoe1028
October 25th, 2013, 06:07 PM
why do bad things happen to you and your house? I remember the flood in your yard from a time back...your house is not that old. Im thinking you got a home built on a hangover

Gizmatical Fuquad
October 25th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. It was the thermocouple that went bad. Kind of a bastard to take out and replace on our water heater but its working now. Thanks again!

I may have oversimplified the job, but you need to keep in mind that I have done it a couple hundred times.

Glad you got it working again, :)