PDA

View Full Version : One day trip from Reno?

DaGimp
April 8th, 2015, 10:20 AM
Looking to get out of town this weekend, road trip style. Not looking to break the bank but I do want a hotel. Perhaps some drinks/dinner at my destination. May or may not have company...

Got any ideas?

Nevadastars
April 8th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Instead of a hotel, why not a bed & breakfast? We stayed at one in Ely several years ago, and it was pretty cool with great hosts.....
http://www.nevadaweb.com/steptoe/

I'm sure there are others closer to Reno, including in the Sierras and California foothills.

chevydan3
April 8th, 2015, 05:10 PM
Gerlach, brunos

gird123
April 8th, 2015, 06:24 PM
Not that I like cal but, we are thinking about Sutter Creek great food and wine tasting 2 hours. In my opinion a little for for over night but Jenner 4.5 nice drive and some b&bs, and Monterey is nice at a little over 5 hours I think.

McNasty
April 8th, 2015, 06:26 PM
http://deniojunctionmotel.com/

Nevadastars
April 8th, 2015, 06:38 PM

Funny, earlier today my wife was telling me she wants to head up that way and check out some opal mines her son was telling her about. I had never heard of it before, but see they are on that site. Thanks for the link.

McNasty
April 8th, 2015, 06:40 PM
Funny, earlier today my wife was telling me she wants to head up that way and check out some opal mines her son was telling her about. I had never heard of it before, but see they are on that site. Thanks for the link.

It's a cool place. We camp near there every year and always stop in for a burger and a beer. Call ahead and make sure they have gas, last time I was up there they didn't.

You're welcome.

DaGimp
April 8th, 2015, 06:50 PM
Instead of a hotel, why not a bed & breakfast? We stayed at one in Ely several years ago, and it was pretty cool with great hosts.....
http://www.nevadaweb.com/steptoe/

I'm sure there are others closer to Reno, including in the Sierras and California foothills.

Gerlach, brunos

It's a cool place. We camp near there every year and always stop in for a burger and a beer. Call ahead and make sure they have gas, last time I was up there they didn't.

You're welcome.

Thanks guys

Shawn Trooper
April 8th, 2015, 06:51 PM
2 of my favorite getaways is Stinson Beach or Half Moon Bay CA.

Ben
April 8th, 2015, 09:10 PM
If you have company, drive down 49 (consider getting there via 88), stop in Jamestown or Angels camp for lunch and stay at Chateau du Sureau in Oakhurst. It's a lot of driving, but with the passes still closed, it's one of the few scenic options that isn't just Interstate. From Oakhurst, you can drive north into and through Yosemite on your way back. In the other direction, you could drive up to Burney Falls, and Manzanita Lake at Lassen Park for a picnic. I've only ever camped that way, but there may be a vacation rental in Burney or Hat Creek.

With no company, you need a good dog. Check out the Way Out West club Friday night in Delhi. Saturday morning, the Stanislaus club meets northeast of Modesto at 4554 Claribel Road. Sunday morning, Bay Area Ring Club meets in Ryde.

McNasty
April 8th, 2015, 09:12 PM
If you have company, drive down 49 (consider getting there via 88), stop in Jamestown or Angels camp for lunch and stay at Chateau du Sureau in Oakhurst. It's a lot of driving, but with the passes still closed, it's one of the few scenic options that isn't just Interstate. From Oakhurst, you can drive north into and through Yosemite on your way back. In the other direction, you could drive up to Burney Falls, and Manzanita Lake at Lassen Park for a picnic. I've only ever camped that way, but there may be a vacation rental in Burney or Hat Creek.

With no company, you need a good dog. Check out the Way Out West club Friday night in Delhi. Saturday morning, the Stanislaus club meets northeast of Modesto at 4554 Claribel Road. Sunday morning, Bay Area Ring Club meets in Ryde.
I have family in Oakhurst. That's a nice area too.

Nevadabackroader
April 9th, 2015, 07:38 AM
Downieville CA is cool, along with many of the other Sierra towns. Monterey/Carmel is one of my favorite places. Carmel beach is awesome, the warph and Cannery Row in Monterey are neat. They have a really cool farmers market in downtown Monterey but I'm not sure when that starts. It's very liberal there so some of the vendors are quite entertaining. Sunsets at Point Pinos cannot be beat. Bixby bridge, Big Sur, and the Monterey Bay aquarium are also winners.

phreak9i6
April 9th, 2015, 07:48 AM
Downieville CA is cool, along with many of the other Sierra towns. Monterey/Carmel is one of my favorite places. Carmel beach is awesome, the warph and Cannery Row in Monterey are neat. They have a really cool farmers market in downtown Monterey but I'm not sure when that starts. It's very liberal there so some of the vendors are quite entertaining. Sunsets at Point Pinos cannot be beat. Bixby bridge, Big Sur, and the Monterey Bay aquarium are also winners.

Doran's Beach/Bodega Bay just north of the bay area. This weekend there is a really nifty wine/art walk going on and decent camping on the beach. Be ware its a bit windy, I plan on sleeping in my jeep.

Desertdog77
April 9th, 2015, 03:18 PM

The opal mines I have been to up there are closer to Gerlach. If Soldier Meadows is up and running they used to rent bunkhouse rooms.

aphex
April 11th, 2015, 03:10 PM
We like going to Graeagle.