PDA

View Full Version : Used Car Buying Nightware

y0da
April 12th, 2015, 09:49 PM
So, Long story short I bought a used 2001 dodge 1500 extended cab 4x4 from Reno Tahoe Auto Group 3 weeks ago. It hadn't been inspected yet, they just took it in on trade 2 days prior. It is exactly what I was looking for year make model color interior color and mileage.

We settled on an out the door price with everything I wanted fixed, tear in drivers seat, body work, rear bumper, pinion seal replaced, pitman seal replaced, upper driver door hinge replaced, antenna, and fix the CEL that was on, which they are required to do anyways. It came with a 1k mile 30 day drivetrain warranty as well.

The following Monday (8 days later) they called and said it was ready. Sweet, go down, they tell me to come back the next day on lunch for smog, since they put a new battery in it, and it needed some miles. No biggie. The next morning, I pull out of my driveway and the CEL comes back on. I run the code and its P0455 large evap leak. Eh, sucks, so I took it back on my lunch and dropped it off.

That thursday, they called and said fixed, passed smog ready to go. Sweet, went down with my dad on his way to work and picked it up. I drove from Moana, to Lemmon valley, to plumb, and back to Lemmon Valley. Getting off 395 the rear end starts this terrible constant whine. I shift into neutral and definitely not the transmission making the noise. Once I get home and talk to my dad(been a union mechanic longer than I've been alive) he tells me to temp the pinion on the rear diff. 120 degrees F. A tad warm. I took it for a spin around the block, literally ONE BLOCK and it rose up to 130. I can only imagine the temp of the diff going down the freeway.

I call and speak to my salesman, whose great by the way, and he says let me talk to the service department and I'll have them call you. The sales manager calls me back, and tells me that temperature is normal on the pinion under normal driving conditions and they weren't wanting to put anymore money into it, so " either fix it yourself, or bring it back and we will cut you a check.", after telling me to go loosen the pinion nut myself or have my dad fix it for me. My reply being, " Well I've been trying not to be a dick up to this point, but I have a paper in my hand stating I have a 1k mile warranty, and you're going to fix it." It also states all work to be done at RTAG. He told me service would call me back. Several hours later, with no return phone call, I go down there and speak with the owner and the service manager.

I explain that when their tech replaced the pinion seal, he WAY over torqued the pinion nut down, which changed the bearing preload and cooked the bearings. They asked as to why I didn't drive it back down there, to which I told them, if the bearing locks up and spins the race in the housing, the housing is toast as well, it needs to be towed. They agreed to have a tow truck out in the morning. After we shook and hands, the owner told the sales staff she was going to back charge each and every one of you for it as she walked off.

So, they tow the truck from my house Friday morning. I got a voice mail Tuesday while at work, stating that they had to order all new bearings for the rear end. Well no shit Sherlock, I told you that 5 days ago. Thursday around 430 I get a call stating it's done. I get a ride back down to the dealership, crawl under the truck, everything is tight, greasy hand prints on my fenders and doors, blue rtv smeared all over my diff cover, but at this point Im done, I just want my damn truck.

I take it for a nice trip down to gville on Friday after work, at around half trip it develops a whine again in the rear end, but different this time. Awesome. I get it home and park it until Saturday when my dad can pin point what it is. One spin around the block and we determine, they screwed something up. If I fix it myself I void my warranty, but at this stage, I don't want their tech anywhere near my truck.

We tear the rear end apart and make a few discoveries. One, the tech never learned at little rtv goes a long way.

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag357/taziknez/sharing/2001dodge/IMAG0478_zpsh6dzoiak.jpg (http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/taziknez/media/sharing/2001dodge/IMAG0478_zpsh6dzoiak.jpg.html)

Two, there's a ring gear bolt broken off for some reason.

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag357/taziknez/sharing/2001dodge/IMAG0485_zpskm5t1th3.jpg (http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/taziknez/media/sharing/2001dodge/IMAG0485_zpskm5t1th3.jpg.html)

Someone decide a cut off wheel is the right way to pull carrier bearings

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag357/taziknez/sharing/2001dodge/IMAG0509_zpsqnwlkwts.jpg (http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/taziknez/media/sharing/2001dodge/IMAG0509_zpsqnwlkwts.jpg.html)

And last but not least, the source of my noise. A perfectly intact crush sleeve

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag357/taziknez/sharing/2001dodge/IMAG0497_zps9twul85a.jpg (http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/taziknez/media/sharing/2001dodge/IMAG0497_zps9twul85a.jpg.html)

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag357/taziknez/sharing/2001dodge/IMAG0493_zps2codayyw.jpg (http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/taziknez/media/sharing/2001dodge/IMAG0493_zps2codayyw.jpg.html)

Well, since the bearings were actually replaced, and the rear end just not assembled correctly, we re-installed everything, crushed the sleeve to the proper rolling torque, patterned the gears to match the wear pattern the best we could, and bolted it all back together. 200 miles on it so far, and not a single peep out of the rear end.

All in all, when buying a used car or truck, GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING.
Sometimes, the warranty you get, isn't worth the paper its written on.
Reaffirm the reasons as to why no one ever works on my vehicles except myself, and my all knowing dad.

Old Geezzer
April 12th, 2015, 10:32 PM
A simple seal replacement has turned into a nightmare.Just goes to show ya even if you got a box of shinny tools doesn't make a mechanic by no means.A old trimmer once told me "if you don't know, then RTFB....a few will know what this means LOL

Desertdog77
April 13th, 2015, 03:24 AM
Geez who cut that bearing off Stevie Wonder? Crush sleeves are a PITA. BTW many diffs set up properly do run hot but 130 while not towing seems extreme.

y0da
April 13th, 2015, 04:17 AM
Geez who cut that bearing off Stevie Wonder? Crush sleeves are a PITA. BTW many diffs set up properly do run hot but 130 while not towing seems extreme.

This is true. 130 isnt bad towing. Not 25 mph though. Im still wondering how he got the rolling torque of 21-24 inch lbs on new bearings without crushing that sleeve at all.. oh wait. you can't!

yota 44
April 13th, 2015, 08:28 AM
I bought my nissan titan from reno Tahoe auto group .

I got it for a good price .

They had said I would get a key fob from them the next time they get a nissan in a trade in ...... I called multiple times for 2 months and seeing that they had a few nissan trucks and SUV (I guess they all use the same key fob)
decided to just look for one on my own .
Luckily I found one on amazon for $8 !!!

I had always thought they cost way more then that .
But it was frustrating they had said they would get one for me and didn't . Other then that my truck runs and drives awesome and has zero issues .

I realize this really has nothing to do with your truck . Just my experience with the same dealership .

WILLD420
April 13th, 2015, 08:50 AM
I don't buy from stealerships unless I have no other choice. I am my own warranty department and I've been bitten a few times, but not nearly as bad as the cars I bought from a dealer. Only one out of the 3 I bought came without hidden problems.

The factory warranty.... Ford says the Triton motor should consume between one and three quarts of oil every 1500 miles, before they will warranty for the piston slap they had. Nice.

Three transmissions in 50K miles, all for failed torque converters, and I never towed at all.

Doors cracking around the windows with less than 50K on the truck, and it NEVER saw the dirt or any hard driving.

Walked away and never looked back. If you can, buy private party and have a "good" shop go over them with a fine tooth comb. Pay the money up front, don't get taken and never be afraid to walk away from a deal when that little voice says "o'h that seems a little weird."

flighht2k5
April 13th, 2015, 02:25 PM
I don't buy from stealerships unless I have no other choice. I am my own warranty department and I've been bitten a few times, but not nearly as bad as the cars I bought from a dealer. Only one out of the 3 I bought came without hidden problems.

The factory warranty.... Ford says the Triton motor should consume between one and three quarts of oil every 1500 miles, before they will warranty for the piston slap they had. Nice.

Three transmissions in 50K miles, all for failed torque converters, and I never towed at all.

Doors cracking around the windows with less than 50K on the truck, and it NEVER saw the dirt or any hard driving.

Walked away and never looked back. If you can, buy private party and have a "good" shop go over them with a fine tooth comb. Pay the money up front, don't get taken and never be afraid to walk away from a deal when that little voice says "o'h that seems a little weird."

The same thing could happen purchasing from private party. Not sure how private party would be legit and a dealer isn't?

y0da
April 13th, 2015, 03:27 PM
The same thing could happen purchasing from private party. Not sure how private party would be legit and a dealer isn't?

Looks like they posted a service tech position on Craig's list today.. Hrm...

flighht2k5
April 13th, 2015, 03:30 PM
Looks like they posted a service tech position on Craig's list today.. Hrm...

Who?

y0da
April 13th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Who?

Reno Tahoe Auto Group.. lol

flighht2k5
April 13th, 2015, 03:53 PM
Reno Tahoe Auto Group.. lol

Good for them :)

WILLD420
April 13th, 2015, 04:28 PM

I can save the taxes I paid and the dealership profit margin to pay for a better inspection and repairs. On a 10K truck, that can be a pretty nice chunk of change.

flighht2k5
April 13th, 2015, 04:36 PM
I can save the taxes I paid and the dealership profit margin to pay for a better inspection and repairs. On a 10K truck, that can be a pretty nice chunk of change.

True.

Desertdog77
April 13th, 2015, 04:53 PM

I've had two problem vehicles in my life, they were traded in at the dealer. I've sold the rest private party, probably 15 vehicles.

y0da
April 13th, 2015, 05:06 PM
overall im still happy as can be with the truck. Their fly by night body guy did great work, turns out my sister knows him. And their interior guy isn't bad either. They just need a better service department lol.

Gizmatical Fuquad
April 13th, 2015, 05:30 PM
I tend to buy vehicles with known problems(they come cheap that way) and either make the repairs myself or by someone I know and trust.

y0da
April 13th, 2015, 05:38 PM
If it hadn't came with a warranty I would have fixed it myself the first time around. Now Im just done dealing with it, and will be the remaining little items myself.