Thread: Krawlers on a Trophy truck ???

TroubleShooter
    Real Name
    Denis

Krawlers on a Trophy truck ???

wouldnt the compound be too soft for this type of racing?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Nick
    ...apparently not?
    I bought a cactus. A week later it died. And I got depressed, because I thought, Damn. I am less nurturing than a desert. - Demetri Martin

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis
    wouldnt the compound be too soft for this type of racing?
    the ones rock crawlers use are a much softer compound there called red dots or red label.you have to compete to get the soft ones !!
    AIR SIERRA SWALLOWS.........WATER!!!!

Wheeler
    ya when i was at offroad expo, there was lots of trucks running the new 39 blue label crawlers on there trophy trucks.
    Cherokee, f/r coilovers, 38's, 14 bolt, 44, full cage

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by throttleboy
    the ones rock crawlers use are a much softer compound there called red dots or red label.you have to compete to get the soft ones !!

The red label compound came from there CORR truck compound but they have made small changes to it over the years
    Last edited by Shaffers Offroad; October 25th, 2005 at 06:57 PM.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Sam
    The problem with Mud Terrains, or possibly Krawlers is tread wear on the rear tires. Those trucks spin the rear tires a lot. If you put too small and/ or too deep of tread blocks they can tear off quickly on the back tires.
    The original "project" tread pattern was designed for tread wear, but suck for traction. At the Las Vegas Terribles Cup, a short course event, trophy truck guys ran Krawlers. There is talk of BFG designing a new tire, mabye from a harder compound for Trophy Trucks and big class 1's. I wonder what the carcass design differences between a Project tire and a Krawler tire are. I wouldnt think the design internally would be the same.
    Samco Fabrication
    862 Watson Way
    Sparks, NV 89431
    Phone: 856-4100
    Fax: 856-4101

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by samco fab
    I wonder what the carcass design differences between a Project tire and a Krawler tire are. I wouldnt think the design internally would be the same.
    I had heard that the original Krawlers used the Project carcass and tread compound from their drag radials. Not sure if that was true or how they have evolved from there. Some of the rockcrawling competitors I know complain that the sidewalls on the Krawlers are TOO stiff and you pop inner beads if you don't run double beadlocks.

TroubleShooter
    Real Name
    Denis
    while reading DirtSports, there was a little blurb about "BFG Brawler tire". at first, i thought it was a typo, but then it got me thinking, so i did a little search and found this on Pirate4x4.

He also showed me a new experimental tire that he is developing for the desert racing scene. It looks like a Krawler, but he assures me it's not. The code name for this tire is called the "Brawler". It has a Baja core and compound, with the tread pattern similar to the Krawler. The goal of the tire is a more aggressive tread that can still handle the harsh environments of the desert.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dennis; November 29th, 2005 at 12:25 PM.
    Reno4x4Garage.com - custom fabrication and CNC plasma services - 771-2734

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Sam
    I was looking at a couple of these "brawler" tires, they still said Krawler on the side, but the tread depth seemed shallower than a regular crawler for more tread stability, and less chunking. Seems to me that that tire would not have enough lateral traction, it is more of a paddle tire like design. We will see what evolves over time. I saw 3 teams that were trying them out.
    Samco Fabrication
    862 Watson Way
    Sparks, NV 89431

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    what tires do you run on your trucks? anyone run any mickey thompson tires?
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Sam
    We run BFG's "project" tire, which is a tire designed for a trophy truck or class 8 truck....2 wheel drive, high horsepower, brutal on rear tires.They have a shallow tread depth, big lugs and a fairly hard compound to give the most tread stability and longevity. Unmodified on a trophy truck they still cant go more than 300 or 400 miles without severe wear, but with our underpowered stock truck, we run the whole race with them and groove the crap out of them for more traction without any severe wear problems.

No real argument, the BFGoodrich is the best tire in the desert. They have overalled the last 20 Baja 1000's, and dominate almost all the other events, sometimes just by sheer number of people that run BFG's, but they also have an awesome pit support program (free for people that run BFG's) that also goes to the rockcrawling comp events. For many people they could not go racing without that support. The things that BFG does for off road motorsports in general makes me loyal to them as a company.
    Goodyear does have some good tires, and does win a few races, and now Toyo has stepped it up and sponsored a couple of big name teams like PCI, Fabtech Scott Stienburger, and Robby Gordon's Red Bull trophy trucks.

Mickey Thompson dosent have a huge desert presence, but they sponsor a couple of mid size buggy teams. I dont think they are a bad tire, but for the money I would look at other tires as a better choice, just my opinion.
    Samco Fabrication
    862 Watson Way
    Sparks, NV 89431

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    do you happen to know dan smith with the duralast ford? http://www.off-road.com/4x4web/features/1999/02/

my X's uncle owns a machine shop in socal that builds parts for the terrible Herbst racing team and he is also friends with dan smith so i got to go their shop and shoot the **** with them for a few hours- got to sit in the truck and get pictures and stuff. he gave me a signed poster- really nice guy. i figured it was a small world and you might know him. One hell of a driver, and i swear their head mechanic could spot cracks in the cage from 5 feet away that i couldnt see with a magnifying glass... they kept twisting driveshafts and ford kept sending em new ones with sensors to measure how much torque was doing it...

i have to say, desert racing and rally racing are something i hope i have the money to do some day.

it's amazing how much those poor tires get the crap kicked out of em. sounds like BFG is one hell of a company- i like all the tires of theirs i've run (except the all-terrains in clay).
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Sam
    I have met Dan Smith, and have a big Duralast poster with Dave and Dan's autograph in my office. Those guys are cool, they are some of the most successful trophy truck drivers out there. They won 5 straight races once, and 3 Baja 1000s in a row, and the dual BITD/ Score championship in 98. Definitely one of my favorite teams. They lost the Duralast sponsorship a couple of years ago, went to Optima, and now are I think Ford Motorcraft. That DOHC engine with the 8 into 1 header sounds like nothing else That truck is awesome!
    Samco Fabrication
    862 Watson Way
    Sparks, NV 89431

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Keith
    Are they the brother team that has helicopters, fool size fords that are pre-runnered out for chase rigs. I thing one drives a buggy and the other a dope *** ford. I could be wrong but the statistics were what made me think it was that team. Watched a blurp on the discovery channel. Man are they living large. If I had a sport that I could really get into it would be by far the baja racing. 80-100 miles an hour down the dirt roads just sounds too good.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    dont think they are brothers, i know their truck is 2WD, and their chaser (at the time was a ford 4x4 that had just had a tree fall on it)...

wow i didnt know all that! what happened with duralast? yeah that header setup is scary as hell! but my god the sound.... DROOOL!! i couldnt believe it. plus all the crazy suspension travel. they had just gotten back from a 500 mile run when i saw it (i might be able to find the pictures and post em) and the tires were all slashed to hell (BFG's i think) and i remember the drivers front tire had a cut throught the blocks all the way to the steel belts wide enough to see the belts... crazyness. those guys were great. god it's been like 3.3 years.... whew.

i couldnt believe it, they told me that anytime i was down there i should stop by the shop and see em. i havent been down since, but i'd like to go.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Sam
    SV, the team you are thinking of is Terrible Herbst, with the legendary " TRUGGY" and the 4wd Trophy Truck. They spend millions with the sport and are arguably the biggest team. They are also very successful,(and cool) but the nice thing is in off road racing that you can often go out with an 80 to $120,000 vehicle and be competitive with the Mega teams like Gordon or Herbst or Riveria. That sounds like a lot of money, but when you see a very simple vehicle like Chuck Hovey's Jimco competing and winning against those guys that have 5 to 10 times as much money invested, you realize you cant just throw money at it to win it.
    Samco Fabrication
    862 Watson Way
    Sparks, NV 89431

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    yeah the terrible herbst is a good team. i couldnt believe the ammount of things they were constantly having machined! i think a good deal of Wally's shop was manufacturing for them! they have a huge following too.

nothing beats beating a team that has more money and better parts than yours. it's all about drivers!