Thread: Popular brake upgrade for early models Toyotas

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Paul

Popular brake upgrade for early models Toyotas

HI:wave:

I'm going to outline doing the popular IFS brake caliper and FJ80 vented rotors on solid axle Toyota's. I sourced my brake calipers at Pick n Pull for under $30
    (Half Price sale and including core charge) The rest I picked up from Trailgear. Listed below is descriptions and pictures of each item I used.

http://trail-gear.com/

For complete service of your front axle this is a great thread..It shows how to remove/replace the parts to obtain this swap.

http://www.birfield.com/~morgan/tech/axle/

Front Brake Calipers

These calipers are the larger V6 style found on 88-95 Pickups and 4Runners. Great replacement for worn our or leaking calipers. Also makes a great upgrade on 79-85 solid front axles when used with vented rotors listed below. Note wheel spacers may be needed to clear calipers on some wheels. No core charge, outright purchase. Includes installed premium Semi-Metallic pads.
    Brake Caliper, Front V6, Loaded, Right, $119, 140047-1-K
    Brake Caliper, Front V6, Loaded, Left, $119, 140046-1

Front Brake Pads

Premium Semi-Metallic asbestos free front replacement brake pads. Set of 4 pads. Applications to fit Toyota's from 1979-2004
    Brake Pads, Front, 79-88, $16 set
    Brake Pads, Front, 89-95, $20 set
    Brake Pads, Front, 95 1/2- 04 , $16 set

Vented Rotors

1986 and later pickups and 4Runner feature larger vented rotors from the factory. Earlier 1979-1985 trucks used solid (non vented) rotors up front along with smaller calipers. If your installing a solid front axle on an 86 and later rig you will want to install a set of these vented rotors onto the axle. With these rotors you will be able use your existing larger IFS calipers. Simply unbolt your existing rotors and replace them with these vented rotors. Slight grinding of the rotors backing plate will be needed. Then simply install the IFS calipers right on to the solid axle using the factory bolts.
    These rotors can also be used on 85 and older trucks to increase braking effectiveness. Fits 81-85 Solid axles with 8 hole style rotors.

Vented Rotors, $39 each, 140042-1

Backing Plate Eliminator

The brake backing plates can be a bother on front Toyota solid axles. They often get bent from trail damage and small rocks can get trapped between the backing plate and the rotor causing noise and damage. For many years we have taken the stock brake backing plate and cut out the center section. Then we would reassemble the axle with just the center part for spacing.

We have come up with a cleaner way to accomplish the same thing. Our Backing Plate Eliminator kit contains two spacer rings that take the place of the factory backing plate. The rings are the same thickness as stock for proper component spacing. Installation is easy, simply remove the stock backing plate and replace with our rings when your servicing the knuckle.

Note: Backing Plate Eliminators do not have a mount for the brake line that is normally part of the backing plate. An alternate method of mounting or routing of the brake lines may be required.

Back Plate Eliminator Kit, $19, 140058-1-K
    Last edited by 85runner; June 30th, 2008 at 07:00 PM.
    I DON'T GIVE A $HIT!!

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Paul
    All parts arrived the next day. Also sourced some new inner axle seals from
    Marlin Crawler. (The bomb)

Cleaned up and painted calipers.

Start tearing down your axle assembly checking and cleaning all bearings and surfaces for wear. Mine were fine but you can find replacements at the bellow sites.

http://trail-gear.com/knuckle-service.html
    http://marlincrawler.com/

Out with the old and in with the new. I used a wood 2x2 to gently tap the seal into place.

I cleaned the knuckle and reinstalled ready for the brake plate eliminator. Install the eliminator plate in place of the dust shield.

Next was to remove the old wheel bolts (studs) from the old rotor. Remove the two bolts that hold the rotor in place along with the wheel bolts. Using a extension I hammered out the studs. I ended up buying all new wheel bolts since they were out and damaged. Had a hard time finding 12 in Reno and Carson. Wound up going to 4 different auto part stores. If they look the part number up they will give you the wrong one. Just ask Fortunately the information on Pirate4x4 is golden and found the Part number I needed.
    Toyota #90942-02053
    Dorman (Kragen) 610-264
    Napa 641-3126

http://www.cskauto.com/
    http://www.napaonline.com/

Last edited by 85runner; June 30th, 2008 at 10:09 PM.
    I DON'T GIVE A $HIT!!

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Paul
    Seat new wheel bolts with extension.

And the new rotor installed with new wheel bolts.

While I was in there I boxed the steering stops that tend buckle under to much pressure. Just use some flat stock and weld up.

Be sure to use safety in supporting the vehicle while working under it. It helps to have a child stool as it is the perfect height for wrenching. A helper usually makes things go faster too!!! Shes good at retrieving cold ones for me. Between my 2 girls, I always have a refreshment on hand.

Re-install components as normal. IFS calipers will bolt on. Just be sure to make sure the left and right brake pads are installed correctly or they will make contact with the knuckle. Depending on what back spacing of wheels you are running you will need to clearance your calipers for the wheels no to rub. I had to take a lot out for a 2.5 back spacing wheel.
    Last edited by 85runner; June 30th, 2008 at 07:06 PM.
    I DON'T GIVE A $HIT!!

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Paul
    All shinny and new. From this.....

To this.....

Don't forget grease for the bearings and to refill the diff with gear oil. Bleed breaks and take for a spin. Stops wayyyy better now.

Get off my case on the stock steering:sick:

Hope this might help out yota owners in the future.
    I DON'T GIVE A $HIT!!

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    matthew
    nice write up.
    Quote Originally Posted by CashMoney View Post
    its never a dull moment watching matt.

Real Name
    Steve
    Great write up. Do you know if there is a kit or if anyone has upgraded their 85 with 1st Tacoma calipers? I just swapped out m6 Tacoma calipers for a set of tundras on my 98. Looking to use these if possible.
    Thanks