Thread: New Tire Advice

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Gus

New Tire Advice

So I may be forced to go with these tires:
    Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac
    LT265/75R16C1 112Q W
    Does anyone have any experience with these tires?

I can not find any Bridgestone Revo 2 in my size. NOBODY has them, not even Tire Rack. They say they are back ordered.

My questions is about going from a C load range tire to an E load range tire. I know the E is beefier and heavier than the C but how will the E tire affect my everyday driving and handling of my Jeep over the C tire. I understand the need for and E tire on a heavy truck like a Dodge Ram with Cummins Diesel but am not so sure about it on my much lighter Jeep (5300 vs 7500-8000lbs).

The Q speed rating (99mph) does make me a bit nervous........because of my heavy right foot.......and the ease of reaching that speed in my Jeep.

Comments, opinions, useful advice are appreciated.

Thanks.

Web Wheeler
    I've heard nothing but good things about the duratracs. Supposed to be a real quality AT.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Harry
    I have heard good things about the Duratracs also.

If you want something with a similar tread pattern to the Revo Gus that is speed rated and reasonably priced consider the Yokohama Geolander AT/S, Hankook Dynapro AT, or Falken High Country All Terrain.

I also know a lot of people who have had good luck with the Nitto Terra Grappler.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    jared
    i have them!!!!! and mine are 15's i freaking love them i have pinned the speedometer more then a few times and the jeep handles fine. they stick to the wet pavement prettywell to unless you dont want them to but they grab traction pretty quick. i have just a lil over 3000 miles on mine and they look pretty brand new still.. they do good on the dirt and the rocks. not sure about mud or snow yet those test are still to come... really quite tire to well at least for me i usally have the jeep a rocking to cut down on the hole in the muffler lol. other than that i would buy these tires again

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Gus
    Thanks for the input.

I support Reno4x4!
    won't the E range offer a stiffer sidewall? If so, the felt response in the dirt and rocks, when aired down might feel and maybe perform different.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    www.hillsangels4x4.com. Plankowner
    Life Member Blue Ribbon Coalition
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

Wheeler
    Real Name
    jared
    i have yet to air them down and see how they feel.. i have no way of airing up unless theres a gas station real close to the trail

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Justin
    The boss runs the 245/75/16's on his XJ and likes them a lot better than the MT/R's. It may have more to do with the c rated Duratracs vs e rated MT/R's.

We've sold quite a few sets and the only problem we've had is a blow-out a week or so after we sold em. Free replacement covered that.

I'll be going with the 33's on mine.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Gus
    Quote Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
    won't the E range offer a stiffer sidewall? If so, the felt response in the dirt and rocks, when aired down might feel and maybe perform different.
    Mark you are correct, The C range is 6ply and the E range is 10ply, which would make for a much stiffer ride.......especially on a lighter weight vehicle.
    It comes down to this, the Revo's that I love (which are in stock in an E range) are P range standard load (SL) which you have seen me beat the sh*t out of on the trail are relatively close to what the C range Duratrac would be like.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...x=675TR6WSAOWL

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Gus
    I have another question. I have had a set of 16x8 TJ Rubicon rims sitting around and was wondering if they would be a better choice than the stock 16x7 ZJ rims for 265/75/16 tires that are said to have a tread width of 8.7" and total width of 10.5". The old Revo's tread width was only 7.8" (and had the same total width of 10.5") so the new Duratracs have almost a full inch more tread width.

What say the group?

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Matt
    the duratracs are an amazing tire for a daily driver. they will be my next tire on my truck. i ran the Revos and they were one of the worst tires ive ever run. i couldnt get grip in mud, sand, snow, rocks, or dirt if my life depended on it. you will be much happier with the duratracs. you may want to also check out the Dunlop Rover Maxx Traction. same tire as the duratrac pretty much and generally cheaper.

if your are for sure sticking to a 265 i would stay with a 7" wide wheel. i run an 8" wide wheel on my 295/70R17 tires.

i think the load rated E will be fine for you. i noticed a stiffer ride when i went from D to E but it wasnt an uncomfortable stiff. it was more of a solid stiffness. but im also in a full size 1/2 ton truck.

Dunlop Rover Maxx Traction vs Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

something to add too. the dunop got a rating of 9.3 on tire rack. the duratrac got an 8.2
    tire rack shows to be out of stock on the dunlop but im sure you can have a vendor on here hook you up with them for a good price
    Last edited by MotoMatt; August 14th, 2010 at 01:48 PM.