Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: post

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mary Ann
    AND.... Where is this VOSSMAN59 that orginally got this post going?

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Norm
    You all are making me want to get a GPS.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mary Ann
    Quote Originally Posted by BigNorm View Post
    You all are making me want to get a GPS.
    No, a GPS is more than a want..... it's a NEED!..... it's an ADVENTURE!
    Mary Ann

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Nick
    Sportsman's Warehouse has decent prices on Garmin Units.
    I bought a cactus. A week later it died. And I got depressed, because I thought, Damn. I am less nurturing than a desert. - Demetri Martin

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mary Ann
    Quote Originally Posted by kairo View Post
    Sportsman's Warehouse has decent prices on Garmin Units.
    Hi Nick!
    (you should be working)

Yes they do, but there are sites out there that offer units at a much better price. I learned that lesson after we ordered Mikie's. I could of saved $100 bucks or more.

I'll have dinner ready by 6:30PM.

See ya Nick.
    Mom

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Norm
    I've always used a map to get where I needed to go. A GPS would be quicker but more adventurous? I think not. Nothing is more challenging than being late home and having screwed up the navigation. Staring at a map in the pitch black is almost always no help untill you run into a decent terrain feature like a river or road. I highly doubt such navigation would help me find tupperware in the wilderness though.

Could you tell me where to buy one at the best price?

Wheeler
    I've always used a map to get where I needed to go. A GPS would be quicker but more adventurous? I think not. Nothing is more challenging than being late home and having screwed up the navigation. Staring at a map in the pitch black is almost always no help untill you run into a decent terrain feature like a river or road. I highly doubt such navigation would help me find tupperware in the wilderness though.

Could you tell me where to buy one at the best price?

Picked up my Garmin eTrex Vista for $200 at a PX.

I understand your a veteran right. Former 11B? If so you can order one off of AAFES.com

I would not buy a GPS off of ebay. To many people have gotten screwed by getting a crappy unit or a stolen unit. GARMIN FAQsPlus there is no warrenty from what I understand if you get it through a third party like ebay.

Mary Ann (nice to meet you. I go by Don)
    I would like to go on a caravan! Usually I solo cache due to my work and school hours. I will definately keep in touch though! Next time your in Carson check out Lights Out: Whats that Smell?. Im starting a series around Carson.
    Last edited by willyj; December 22nd, 2006 at 06:14 PM.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by RMEF-spokesman View Post
    Hi Nick!
    (you should be working)

Yes they do, but there are sites out there that offer units at a much better price. I learned that lesson after we ordered Mikie's. I could of saved $100 bucks or more.

I'll have dinner ready by 6:30PM.

See ya Nick.
    Mom
    I was working
    I bought a cactus. A week later it died. And I got depressed, because I thought, Damn. I am less nurturing than a desert. - Demetri Martin

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mary Ann
    Mary Ann (nice to meet you. I go by Don)
    I would like to go on a caravan! Usually I solo cache due to my work and school hours. I will definately keep in touch though! Next time your in Carson check out Lights Out: Whats that Smell?. Im starting a series around Carson.

WOO-HOO, can't wait for your series.

We will Stay in touch.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Team Nexus

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Norm
    I didn't know vets could go through AAFES. I should check out my bennies better eh?

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Justin
    Norm,
    A GPS can get you into trouble too.
    Remember when we took the wrong road near Auroura? I dropped all of my satellites and didn;t get anything til I got to the top of that hill? Besides, we did roll up on a few mine sites that wasn't on the map but were on my GPS topo maps.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Norm
    Number one: You are never lost. You just have to bracket it down a little. First as we all now we are on Earth. Now you have to figure where on earth are you. lol. We can probably bracket it all the way down to the county and maybe even down to a few grid squares on the map. We are pretty lucky as being in a pretty populous place. If you head in one dirrection long enough you will get to somewhere that will help you bracket it down even more. The above speach was given to me as an impromptu class by a ranger. The rangers call what I've just described as being "temporarily disoriented". I wanna get a damn gps eventually though. I've got to stop throwing money at my wheeler as to have enough cash to do it. That being said it will probably be awhile still.

Wheeler
    I didn't know vets could go through AAFES. I should check out my bennies better eh?
    depends on how long you did.

even still. you got a link
    im still in.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Norm
    4 1/2 years active and 3 1/2 in the Guard out there in Fallon with the Mortars.

Wheeler
    Cool. Although they are turning into an MP unit now.

I am in the 150th.
    Vets are getting treated a little better do to the current war. Especially national guard. Alot of it has to do with lobbyist fighting for us since we are being used as much if not more then active duty.

Thanks for serving though! If you ever want I would be more then willing to take you out caching.

You are right. Nothing beats a map and compass! Did my PLDC in Camp Jackson Korea! Can we say terrain association! Got my EIB in Ft Stewart, GA. They didnt allow GPS on those courses. I like the new technology though.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Norm
    cool beans dude. Check out your messages. I left you one. Huah! Yeah, I know it's a jarhead icon. I've always liked the Corps though because they train each and every one of the marines to be an infantryman first and then send them off to Whatever AIT they are destined too.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mary Ann
    I am going to post here & under geocaching.

GBES- Great Basin Eastern Sierra geocaching group is having a birthday party. You can get all the details buy visiting GCZPXZ. GBES is the local northern NV geocaching site.

You can also visit GBESgeo.org to visit the site or click on the fun birthday cake to get more info.

Hope to see some of you there.

hey BigNorm- It's like a pizza night for Reno's 4X4 group. We would love to see you!