Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MRANN 2012

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Juston

MRANN 2012

Thought I would start a new thread here for anyone doing some friendly desert racing this year. I just missed the opener at Nightingale, but am gearing up for Lassen Sunday April 1st.

It would be awesome if we kept each other motivated, practice, and pool our resources on race day!

Here's my machine for the 2012 season:

Name:  100_0762.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  144.4 KB

My girlfriend, Laura, will be racing this in the "V" class:

Name:  100_0756.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  167.2 KB

My 11yo boy, Apollo, is going to be racing "J" class on this thing:

Name:  100_0748.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  180.5 KB
    Last edited by renojeepster; February 21st, 2012 at 10:46 PM.
    Juston
    MRANN #519P

04 WJ, 4.7H.O., K&N FIPK, Flowmaster Super 40, 231 T-Case swap w/ 32spline S.Y.E., Vari-Lock Differentials, 5.5" Iron Rock Coils, Clayton's Long Arms, Bilsteins, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Tie Rod and Drag Link flip, 315/75R16 BFG KM2's, IRO rocksliders, Gas tank raised 6", 1600watts of Kickin Ass Alpine Stereo.
    Link:
    '04 WJ Build Thread

Links:
    '70 Jeepster Build Part 1
    '70 Jeepster Build Part 2

R.I.P. Jeepster. New one ton Jeepster project to come.....

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Juston
    Who's up for some practice Sunday morning 2/26 around 10am? Sun Valley to the Moon rocks and back!
    Juston
    MRANN #519P

04 WJ, 4.7H.O., K&N FIPK, Flowmaster Super 40, 231 T-Case swap w/ 32spline S.Y.E., Vari-Lock Differentials, 5.5" Iron Rock Coils, Clayton's Long Arms, Bilsteins, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Tie Rod and Drag Link flip, 315/75R16 BFG KM2's, IRO rocksliders, Gas tank raised 6", 1600watts of Kickin Ass Alpine Stereo.
    Link:
    '04 WJ Build Thread

Links:

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Juston
    Quote Originally Posted by renojeepster View Post
    Who's up for some practice Sunday morning 2/26 around 10am? Sun Valley to the Moon rocks and back!
    Anyone?
    Juston
    MRANN #519P

Link:
    '04 WJ Build Thread

Links:

Wheeler
    Real Name
    John
    I missed the thread. I was still sore from last week (1st race of the year after only 1 ride in the prior 2 months will do that) but I probably would have gone.

Definitely should get together before Lassen.

Aslo, my stepson will be doing the mini course with Apollo and Laura on his 65 this year. Turns 11 today, but he tiny. Here he is at Nightingale. 47 miles and he was exhausted.
    Last edited by ludafisk; February 27th, 2012 at 08:03 AM.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Juston
    Awesome. My son hasn't done much long distance. We went out this weekend, and he wanted to turn back after about 5 miles. It was only his second ride on the YZ85, coming off an XR80, so its a big change and he needs to get used to the bike. I don't think I'm going to have him jump in at Lassen yet. Laura is ready to go though, me and her did about 40 miles two weeks ago and she did great.

The 65 is in the Y class? I bet my son would do good on the 65, the competition in the J class looks tough.
    Juston
    MRANN #519P

Link:
    '04 WJ Build Thread

Links:

Wheeler
    Real Name
    zach
    I would like to join in on the practice rides..never been to an MRANN race I have always wanted to try a race, so hopefully I won't slow you down
    let me know what you think...Ive got an 03 yzf 450

Wheeler
    Real Name
    John
    Awesome. My son hasn't done much long distance. We went out this weekend, and he wanted to turn back after about 5 miles. It was only his second ride on the YZ85, coming off an XR80, so its a big change and he needs to get used to the bike. I don't think I'm going to have him jump in at Lassen yet. Laura is ready to go though, me and her did about 40 miles two weeks ago and she did great.

The 65 is in the Y class? I bet my son would do good on the 65, the competition in the J class looks tough.
    Yeah 65 is Y. We bumped him to Am this year. The 47 mile course was a big jump for him and the other kid who bumped. They weren't to thrilled with being completely worn out at the finish. But, they did some tough stuff near the end. I told him to take it easy, but he got out of turn 1 in 2nd against the 85 novices...then burned out by 27 mile alt gas, and the two stuck to a buddy system until the finish. Lassen is shorter at 17 miles, but I don't know how difficult it will be. Seth likes moto better and there's a non-point GP style race at the Fernley track on the 10th, so we might hit that up.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    John
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeylife View Post
    I would like to join in on the practice rides..never been to an MRANN race I have always wanted to try a race, so hopefully I won't slow you down
    let me know what you think...Ive got an 03 yzf 450
    It's hard to judge speed on the internet. I'm slow. I find it hard to really get into a race-pace when practicing. And typically skip the waterfalls and downhills.
    I think with practice rides it's nice to have a goal in mind so we're not just tooling around and stopping to decide where to go. Also have a leader who knows where he's going. Like Chickadee to Moonrocks or similar. Another fun, shorter, more technical ride is between Damonte and Lockwood there are a couple canyons to run through.
    If you've never raced, it doesn't hurt to just sign up and go. I find it safer and therefore easier to ride faster because the course and dangers are marked.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    zach
    Quote Originally Posted by ludafisk View Post
    It's hard to judge speed on the internet. I'm slow. I find it hard to really get into a race-pace when practicing. And typically skip the waterfalls and downhills.
    I think with practice rides it's nice to have a goal in mind so we're not just tooling around and stopping to decide where to go. Also have a leader who knows where he's going. Like Chickadee to Moonrocks or similar. Another fun, shorter, more technical ride is between Damonte and Lockwood there are a couple canyons to run through.
    If you've never raced, it doesn't hurt to just sign up and go. I find it safer and therefore easier to ride faster because the course and dangers are marked.
    yea I am well aware of judging speed on the internet and how hard it is haha. But I wouldn't mind riding with some people who have been racing before. I will however try to plan on making the next race and practice rides if you guys have an open spot and don't mind me tagging along

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Juston
    I'm going to try and get out every weekend for a while. I dropped my fuel bowl off the work bench, and broke the brass overflow tube. $90 mistake. I hope the new part is here by Friday. I've been going out with my girlfriend and taking it pretty easy lately. I am still messing with the clickers on the KTM, and just changed my 13t countershaft to a 14t. Hopefully it dries out a little this weekend so I can get out and stretch it's legs. My favorite ride is Sun Valley single track past Chickadee, to the canyons just this side of the Moonrocks and back.
    Juston
    MRANN #519P

Link:
    '04 WJ Build Thread

Links:

Wheeler
    Real Name
    John
    yea I am well aware of judging speed on the internet and how hard it is haha. But I wouldn't mind riding with some people who have been racing before. I will however try to plan on making the next race and practice rides if you guys have an open spot and don't mind me tagging along
    I've ridden with Juston only once before. But, as far as I'm concerned, if it's posted here it's an open invite.

Hopefully it dries out a little this weekend so I can get out and stretch it's legs. My favorite ride is Sun Valley single track past Chickadee, to the canyons just this side of the Moonrocks and back.
    That really is the most convenient and versatile ride. You can make it as easy or difficult as you want. If your going to be leading any groups that way, you should make them hit the waterfalls to build confidence

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Juston
    Definately an open invite. The more the merrier and no pressure to ride fast. I can't wait to see how the 300 does up the waterfalls with the 14/50 gearing. I know the 300 has some grunt, but my WR was such a tractor. I really wanted the added top end, so hopefully I still have enough bottom to climb those ledges.
    Juston
    MRANN #519P

Link:
    '04 WJ Build Thread

Links:

Wheeler
    Real Name
    John
    Juston, did you get the part?
    I'm planning on riding tomorrow. Chickadee to Moonrocks and back, around 10:30. White Yamaha with 204p for number.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Juston
    Nope, looks like it will come in Monday. I was so bummed yesterday when it didn't show up, so I got the sled out and hit up the mountain. I will be riding for sure next weekend if you can make it. Some of those North facing slopes are going to be fun tomorrow if they're icy!
    Juston
    MRANN #519P

Link:
    '04 WJ Build Thread

Links:

Wheeler
    Real Name
    zach
    Nope, looks like it will come in Monday. I was so bummed yesterday when it didn't show up, so I got the sled out and hit up the mountain. I will be riding for sure next weekend if you can make it. Some of those North facing slopes are going to be fun tomorrow if they're icy!
    yea we are going snowmobiling tomorrow, hopefully it will at least be decent snow

Wheeler
    Real Name
    John
    At least a storm came through so you got some use out of the sled. I'm more than a little jealous.
    I gotta get a ride in this weekend even if the dirt isn't perfect.
    I'll have to see what's up when next weekend rolls around. I'm planning to bring my suspension to McCoy's if I get the check I'm supposed to receive Wed. Then taking the kid to race Fernley on Sat.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Juston
    yea we are going snowmobiling tomorrow, hopefully it will at least be decent snow
    Mt Rose wasn't bad. Still a little thin in places. I wish I had a spare coolant reservoir so I could go back up tomorrow.
    Juston
    MRANN #519P

Link:
    '04 WJ Build Thread

Links:

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Juston
    Looks like its on for Sat and Sun. Doing some Sun Valley to Moon Rocks single track. Finally got my float chamber in. Tried an aftermarket one because I could get it in two days, and it was too deep and hit the engine case. Waited another 8 days for the OEM part and am finally good to go!
    Juston
    MRANN #519P

Link:
    '04 WJ Build Thread

Links:

Wheeler
    Real Name
    zach
    Mt Rose wasn't bad. Still a little thin in places. I wish I had a spare coolant reservoir so I could go back up tomorrow.
    yea we ended up going to Little Truckee Summit, actually had quite a bit snow, we all got stuck at least once

but on the trail out it was thinning up like crazy

Wheeler
    Real Name
    zach
    Looks like its on for Sat and Sun. Doing some Sun Valley to Moon Rocks single track. Finally got my float chamber in. Tried an aftermarket one because I could get it in two days, and it was too deep and hit the engine case. Waited another 8 days for the OEM part and am finally good to go!
    what times you looking at going, I might be in one of the days.....if you don't mind of course

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Juston
    what times you looking at going, I might be in one of the days.....if you don't mind of course
    We haven't really nailed down a time yet. We need to do a little maintenance on my buddy's bike so hopefully he can bring it over today otherwise we'll have to do it in the morning. I think we could shoot for 10am to be on the trail. We could meet at Sun Valley 7-11 on 7th at 9:30am? Time is totally flexible and all are welcome.
    Juston
    MRANN #519P

Link:
    '04 WJ Build Thread

Links:

Wheeler
    Real Name
    John
    Anyone riding this weekend? Supposed to be upper 30s and snow, but I'll probably try to get out.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Juston
    Doing an easy ride Sun with the g.f. How about Sat?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Juston
    MRANN #519P

Link:
    '04 WJ Build Thread

Links:

Wheeler
    Real Name
    John
    Well, it's supposed to be nicer Sat. I'm usually not as motivated, but I'm OK with Saturday.
    I've got my stepson (11) this weekend, too. So if you're up for a 'family' ride either day, that would work too.
    I've mentioned it before, but if you want to do a shorter mileage run, there's a couple canyons between Damonte and Lockwood. A little more technical and slow-going, where the weather wouldn't be such a factor. I think about 2hrs or so there and back. Some rocks to get ready for Lassen.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Juston
    So, my g.f. is out for this weekend so Sunday is actually the best day for me even though it looks like it will be cold. I am down to ride some new trails, you want to show me and my buddy Charlie on Sunday?

I hope it's not more technical than last weekend or I'll be in trouble.

This was the smaller waterfall, I wish I had gotten a pic of the knarly one.

Name:  imagejpeg952_2.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  225.9 KB
    Juston
    MRANN #519P

Link:
    '04 WJ Build Thread

Links: