Thread: Looking to brake some 1/4" plate. Trade for beer or...

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Daniel

Looking to brake some 1/4" plate. Trade for beer or...

Hi all,

I'll be welding up a custom gas tank for my stretched CJ5 soon. I want to make the bottom and rear out of a single piece of bent 1/4" hot rolled plate probably 33" wide. I'd like to make the other sides and top out of 14 or 16 ga.

Does anybody have a brake they'd kindly let me use in trade for beer or some 2016 cow elk (harvested and butchered by yours truely) or something else? I wouldn't need/want to borrow the brake, just use it at your place. I have approx. 11 bends to make in all.

thanks,

Daniel
    Cheers!

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mark
    A brake that will bend 1/4" plate at 33" wide is pretty large (40 ton or better if I remember correctly). Not something that is in most peoples shop. Reno Salvage might be able to do it for you but that is getting large for them too.

Plus a piece of 1/4" plate, even if only used for the bottom and sides is going to be pretty darn heavy. Something maybe just shy of 100# depending on actual dimensions. That is empty without a top.

TroubleShooter
    Real Name
    Denis
    Just cut it and weld it, but I would not use 1/4" plate, to thick and heavy.
    Reno4x4Garage.com - custom fabrication and CNC plasma services - 771-2734

Killing time murders opportunities.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Thanks for the input guys. That shows my ignorance of what kind of force it takes to bend plate.

i don't plan on running a skid plate with the tank hence the 1/4" bottom.

You guys think I can drag 3/16" down a trail without worry?
    Cheers!

TroubleShooter
    Real Name
    Denis
    I would not do that. It's GOING to get dragged on the rocks, therefore your gas tank should not be a wearable surface, only a matter of time you rub a hole in it, or the weld starts splitting from abuse. Also, what are you going to do to prevent corrosion inside the steel tank?

Build an aluminum (or plastic) tank, with a separate skid plate.
    Reno4x4Garage.com - custom fabrication and CNC plasma services - 771-2734

Killing time murders opportunities.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by AlpineCJ5 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. That shows my ignorance of what kind of force it takes to bend plate.

i don't plan on running a skid plate with the tank hence the 1/4" bottom.

You guys think I can drag 3/16" down a trail without worry?
    You are going to be hard pressed to find anyone with a garage brake that will even bend 16 ga nicely. My shop has a hydro pressbrake that can bend 1/4" but we would have to do it for you and there are a lot of constraints to what you can and can't do. Honestly 1/4" or even 3/16" is over kill.
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG BLUE View Post
    Thats hysterical....whoa and I thought I was the master of booty fab. I feel like such an amateur. Its not even even...no way that can be real.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Daniel
    I plan to use POR 15 gas tank sealer after a good cleaning and phosphoric acid etch.

so the consensus is: a gas tank, even one made with a 1/4" thick bottom, should not be made for dragging on rocks. Instead, a thinner material gas tank should be made and a skid plate should be used. I can do that.
    Cheers!

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Tom
    Reno salvage can bend it. I had them bend my skid plate.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Good to hear! Do you remember what they charge? I doubt I can just bring a case of beer by. Haha.
    Cheers!

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Paul
    If you plasma cut the bends, leave a bit (1/4 inch) on each end. Clamp it to the table and bend with ease. Kinda like those diy bumpers. Of course you have to weld the seam to.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Daniel
    I saw a guy do that on a video at the king of hammers with some mounting tabs. Not a bad idea! I'd have to cut them out with an angle grinder, but same diff.
    Cheers!

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Max
    Davis co off of 4th street can, I think they want like 10$/bend or something. Theres a vendor on here that can but not sure if he has time or will do bends for others, or what hed charge. @relentlessfabrication

Vendor
    Real Name
    Eric
    We have a CNC 10ft 110 ton brake, I can bend up to about 6-7ft of 1/4", full 10ft of 3/16" or less.
    Quite busy, but if you don't need it on the spot I'm sure we could work out a few bends within a week. $10/bend for 6 or less bends, or shop rate @$85/hr if theres more than that. We can usually dial in a bend and get it spot on within 5 minutes, repeat bends of the same angle are done in seconds.
    Relentless off-road Fabrication | Sparks NV | 775-200-0544
    Fabricator of high quality off-road armor, 4x4 accessories, and more!
    We do Steel and aluminum welding, CNC cutting, tube bending, etc. Specializing in Toyota's, but work on any rig
    Check us out in my vendor forum, or on OUR WEBSITE ,on Facebook, and follow us on Instagram @relentlessfabricaion and also on our youtube

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Very cool. I plan on designing the whole thing in CAD first. Since your bender is CNC, is there a specific file type I can supply that would make the process easier?
    Cheers!