Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1971 Suburban Project

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Jed
    Longer version, in case anyone is that bored....

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Jed
    Got my driveshaft rebalanced. I noticed when I brought it back in that it had one weight on one end. Now it has two weights on one end and a weight on the other end. Aaron at Axleline was super helpful and great to work with. I highly recommend them for your driveshaft needs!

My vibration is still there, but significantly reduced. What remains could be a bit of tire vibes or due to pinion angle. Its good enough I feel okay driving it.

Also scored a serpentine belt kit at Summits scratch and dent pile. Was $987, got it for $380.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Jed
    Still chasing a vibration!

Found one rear tire had a bit of a bounce, and decided the hub was a touch loose. Tightened and and no change.

Took Aaron at Axeline for a ride to see if he could help me diagnose the issue. The best he could come up with was that the transfer case output seemed a bit sloppy. So I'm going to do a fluid change and replace the output bearing and seal. Not very optimistic that is the issue.

Again, very impressed with Axeline and their helpfulness with trying to diagnose this for me. I really appreciated their help!

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Jed
    Decided to take a break from chasing the vibes and do some simpler projects.

My headlights have been a bit flaky, so I decide I might as well upgrade them.

I did some research on a few forums and liked the H4 and relay upgrades some guys do so I decided to take that route.

Bought Cibie 82440 H4 housings on ebay for $94. Also bought a H4 relay harness for about $20.

On Amazon I bought some H4 80/100W bulbs.

Got everything installed in about an hour. Haven't had a chance to drive at night yet to test and align/aim, but they certainly are brighter than stock, and now the headlight voltage doesn't need to go through the dash switch. And at about $150 total, waaay cheaper than some of the LED upgrades.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Jed
    I also did some tuning. I thought my advance came on early and had too much, so I changed some things. I have the MSD Streetfire HEI.

I changed springs to the next level firmer based on the spring kit instructions. I also added the vacuum advance limited to setting 'B'. This was all based on what I've read has worked well for others.

My carb is an Edelbrock 1406. I've read many people swap the jets/rods for those that come stock in the 1405. So I made that change too.

The result was a nice improvement in responsiveness and acceleration. I feel it has a fair bit more power from 2-3000 rpm. So if you have a MSD dist and/or a 1406 carb, I suggest trying out these changes.
    Name:  IMG_1826.JPG
Views: 29
Size:  115.8 KB