Thread: AB231 - Exempts all pre-OBDII from smog and inspections

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    John

AB231 - Exempts all pre-OBDII from smog and inspections

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/NELI...Bill/6405/Text

I normally run a list of gun laws that get proposed for every legislative session in Nevada for another forum, but this bill caught my eye.

Overall, it appears to want to outfit the smog stations with newer wireless tech for smog checks. It might mean completely phasing out the old sniffers, because it explicitly states vehicles made in or before 1995 would be exempt from smog and inspections. I donít see any exemptions for the two large counties that currently smog to continue smogging pre Ď96.

If it passes, I guess we motor swap all the things....?
    Only wheeled Kia Sorento in Nevada on 31's.

2. The Following 4 Users Like jfrey123's Post:

69cj5 (March 29th, 2019), Dennis (March 14th, 2019), ManNamedJed (March 14th, 2019), Mr_Scott (March 15th, 2019)

Real Name
    Justin
    Say whaaaaaaa? I’m ready to motor swap all the things.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Jed
    That would be awesome!

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Cary
    Or just move to Lyon county where they don't smog anything.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Tom
    too bad we can't smog california to keep the air clean from all their fires.

7. The Following 2 Users Like Thedirtman's Post:

69cj5 (March 29th, 2019), CashMoney (March 15th, 2019)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrey123 View Post
    https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/NELI...Bill/6405/Text

I normally run a list of gun laws that get proposed for every legislative session in Nevada for another forum, but this bill caught my eye.

Overall, it appears to want to outfit the smog stations with newer wireless tech for smog checks. It might mean completely phasing out the old sniffers, because it explicitly states vehicles made in or before 1995 would be exempt from smog and inspections. I don’t see any exemptions for the two large counties that currently smog to continue smogging pre ‘96.

If it passes, I guess we motor swap all the things....?
    Where can I find the gun law list you mentioned?

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    John
    Quote Originally Posted by DJRENO View Post
    Where can I find the gun law list you mentioned?
    http://www.nevadashooters.com/thread...r-list.144621/

Iím a little late on updating the main post, there are a couple bills discussed towards the end that havenít been put onto the #1 post.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    David
    thanks

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    If they smog exempt anything pre-1995 it would remove all the people calling them classics to the DMV registration, and increase the cost of buying anything built before 1995.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevr View Post
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mark
    Looks like the paragraphs that eliminate inspections for pre 96 vehicles has been deleted due to loss of inspections fees at DMV...

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    John
    Quote Originally Posted by 69cj5 View Post
    Looks like the paragraphs that eliminate inspections for pre 96 vehicles has been deleted due to loss of inspections fees at DMV...
    Where do you see that? I see no amendments and the blue writing right near the end of the bill still says 1995 and older are exempt.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyChemist View Post
    If they smog exempt anything pre-1995 it would remove all the people calling them classics to the DMV registration, and increase the cost of buying anything built before 1995.
    You mean all the ricers with Hondas and plates that say "Custom Rod"?

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    As of March 28 it was heard twice and it still seems to exempt anything 1995 and older. I might have to start looking for a cheap 1995 jeep or Toyota before things get crazy stupid priced, or people learn they don't need to smog that 4runner they can't get rid of.
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    John
    An amendment officially applied on 4/8 as it passed out of committee basically fully gutted this bill. Itís now over 8 pages of cross out. Best I can see the bill now only changes one sentence of law to allow a smog cert to be valid 180 days for the purposes of transfer.

No more smog exemptions for pre-96.

TroubleShooter
    Real Name
    Denis
    I wonder who lobbied for that?
    Reno4x4Garage.com - custom fabrication and CNC plasma services - 771-2734

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Will
    Green new deal. You didn't really expect good things from the Democrats did you?
    Some people are as useful as a football bat.

I support Reno4x4!
    Quote Originally Posted by WILLD420 View Post
    Green new deal. You didn't really expect good things from the Democrats did you?
    Especially when there is a tax or fee to be squeezed out of the citizens.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    www.hillsangels4x4.com. Plankowner
    Life Member Blue Ribbon Coalition
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

20. The Following User Likes RARECJ8's Post:

CashMoney (April 9th, 2019)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Max
    Need a good purge

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Jon
    Was I reading this right that not only would this introduce an exemption to all pre '95 vehicles but would also mandate that all counties would then require emissions testing?

If the Commission determines that it is feasible and practicable to carry out a program of inspecting and testing motor vehicles and systems for the control of emissions from motor vehicles, existing law requires the Commission, in cooperation with the Department and any local air pollution control agency, to adopt regulations and transportation controls to carry out such a program in any county whose population is less than 100,000 (currently all counties other than Clark and Washoe Counties). Existing law requires such regulations to establish certain requirements concerning emissions testing

Wonder how many people would be on board with that.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrey123 View Post
    Where do you see that? I see no amendments and the blue writing right near the end of the bill still says 1995 and older are exempt.
    The current as amended bill is here. https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/NELI...ill/6405/Text# Have to click on the Amendment 108 link, top left of the main text screen.

Looks like it is pretty much gutted at this point. Nothing to see here....

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazzif View Post
    Was I reading this right that not only would this introduce an exemption to all pre '95 vehicles but would also mandate that all counties would then require emissions testing?

If the Commission determines that it is feasible and practicable to carry out a program of inspecting and testing motor vehicles and systems for the control of emissions from motor vehicles, existing law requires the Commission, in cooperation with the Department and any local air pollution control agency, to adopt regulations and transportation controls to carry out such a program in any county whose population is less than 100,000 (currently all counties other than Clark and Washoe Counties). Existing law requires such regulations to establish certain requirements concerning emissions testing

Wonder how many people would be on board with that.
    I JUST talked to a coworker about smog counties. He kept asking if there are smog laws why he didn’t have to smog in his county. Even when I told him he still has to comply with the laws he wanted to know why he was smog exempt. I pointed out later that Washoe Andy Clark are specifically required to smog. I can only IMAGINE how many people would blame California for now requiring smog in Nevada and not blame themselves r not being involved with the law.

I just wonder if pre-95 would lose as much money as requiring all counties to smog would gain. Elmo HA to make up for some of that with how many vehicles are registered there, excluding the of highway ones.