Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOON ROCKS FACES CLOSURE

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Phil

MOON ROCKS FACES CLOSURE

Dear NV Off-roaders,

As you may have heard, H.R. 2733 introduced last year proposes to transfer the BLM land
    at Moonrocks to a local Indian tribe. I wanted to know if you or any OHV group was contacted last year
    about this proposal?

I just found out about it several days ago after a group of 4WDers from Concord, CA were told by a law
    enforcement officer last weekend that the area was going to be closed to OHV in the near future.

I am working on this issue with Congressional staffers in DC as we speak.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Don Amador, BRC
    Cell: 925.783.1834
    '03 Rubicon Nth Degreed
    Life Member Blue Ribbon Coalition
    Life Member United Four Wheel Drive Associations
    Member CA4WDC since 1978
    Founding Member Hills Angels
    Life Member #1 Nevada 4 Wheel Drive Association
    KE7TOQ

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Phil
    Here is the hearing info. The testimony only refers or infers to illegal or unmanaged OHV recreation.

No mention that this is a destination OHV area that is also host to numerous permitted special recreation events.

I don’t know of any OHV group that was contacted for comment on this hearing.

Link to hearing
    http://naturalresources.house.gov/ca...EventID=398951

I will attach the only testimony on the bill that I could find.

This is very troubling.

Thanks,

Don Amador
    Cell 925.783.1834

PS – I am doing follow up in the early am with DC staffers.
    '03 Rubicon Nth Degreed
    Life Member United Four Wheel Drive Associations
    Member CA4WDC since 1978
    Founding Member Hills Angels
    Life Member #1 Nevada 4 Wheel Drive Association
    KE7TOQ

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    John
    I wrote Amodei last year when this proposal was written about in the RGJ. I wasn't aware it included Moon Rocks, but it also seemed to include the lands just north east of Spanish Springs too. Amodei sent back a generic f-tard "I'm a Nevadan too and like dirt" email. Then come to find out he's sponsoring this bill this year.... Vote the bastard out!
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...ouse-bill/2733
    Only wheeled Kia Sorento in Nevada on 31's.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Roger
    Typical politicians making deals and trying to slip things past the public.

Wonder if the BRC is on this?

I support Reno4x4!
    The adjacent tribe has been sabre rattling for several years -we warned here 6 or 7 years ago-since, just like Cave Rock that is now off limits, MR holds spiritual significance that is disrespected by how we recreate there.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    www.hillsangels4x4.com. Plankowner
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

I support Blue Ribbon Coalition!
    Real Name
    Cole
    Why the hell would the Pyramid reservation need anymore land? That reservation is enormous. And why does the Reno-Sparks colony need over 13,000 more acres? That makes no sense. Is there a map to show where these proposed additions will be?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I support Reno4x4!
    Cole, agreed, however it is the Hungry Valley tribal members making the clamor, who live a few miles west of MR. But they have the united support of other NV tribes.

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Harry

The shaded area is the expansion. I cannot tell from the map though if it encompasses Moon Rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I support Reno4x4!
    good info DH. IIRC they also seek inclusion of lands between spanish springs and hungry valley along the eagle canyon-- not friends of all the target shooting and if true, may encompass favorite trails nearby, like twister, BB, etc.

Albert Einstein

Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Web Wheeler
    Time to do away with reservations all together.

It would make me sick if we lose the moon rocks.

The OP Don Amador is BRC...

The crowd that was wheeling in Moonrocks this past weekend texted me on Saturday as soon as they were told this. I immediately called as many people as I know in your guy's area asking about it, becuase I have heard nothing about it. (And i am a landuse guy) Jeff Knoll, Jesse Haines, DSI, Del Albright etc.etc....all of my contacts who are normally filled in on landuse stuff knew nothing about it.

I have a picture on my phone of a map to compare to that other picture, and it looks like it does NOT include Moonrocks (if you look at the township squares on the maps) I just cant post it in this forum becuase Reno4x4 is blocked by my work....i will try to post it on the facebook page.

Eitherway, we are loosing land...I have been to Moonrocks itself, but not south of it where the colony us taking over.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Harry

This is the other map Kurt was referencing. I "borrowed" both map images from him. His finger is pointing to Moon Rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Harry.

Thats Jeff Knolls finger. Not mine. My fingers are way better looking. I could probably make a living as a hand model. Lol.

The AMA got a hold of this info and just shot out a mass e-mail.

I am not super familar with that area, but does the expantion cut into Billy Bobs and twister?

TroubleShooter
    Real Name
    Denis
    OK, looking closer on this map and the Washoe county GIS maps, it looks like the entrance to the BillyBob/Twister Canyon is affected. I made a crude drawing if where I think that canyon starts. Looks like the newly expanded colony will cover that portion of the Eagle Canyon Road.
    Name:  8502ad8317aa013fd86704daf95cb3dd (1).jpg
Views: 4127
Size:  154.7 KB
    Last edited by Dennis; April 27th, 2016 at 12:41 PM.
    Reno4x4Garage.com - custom fabrication and CNC plasma services - 771-2734

Killing time murders opportunities.

TroubleShooter
    Real Name
    Denis
    Darker Orange is the new colony boundary.

Name:  2016-04-27_12-38-23.jpg
Views: 4158
Size:  165.9 KB

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post

So where's moon rocks on that map?

TroubleShooter
    Real Name
    Denis
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertninja775 View Post
    So where's moon rocks on that map?
    Way north

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Way north

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    so would that section of map be twister and bb? Sorry, unfamiliar with area, especially looking at topo maps.

Real Name
    Cole
    Judging from the maps posted, Moon Rocks will not be affected by this particular Reno-Sparks colony expansion. That's not to say it isn't in some other expansion plan from this colony or the Pyramid Reservation. However, it does look like all access points off of Eagle Canyon from the high school onward will be affected including the entrance to Billybob/Twister, and the shortcut road to Lemmon Valley at the Eagle Canyon BLM access point. Also, it appears as if the colony will expand most of the way if not all the way west across Hungry Valley which will surely cut those access roads going towards Palomino Valley. Shitty situation.

Real Name
    Cole

Is there a map like this to show the entire expansion? And one for thePyramid Reservation expansion?

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mark
    Can't say I am happy about this potentially closing wheeling spots, but the gun use in this area (eagle canyon/hungry valley area) has gotten seriously out of control and is dangerous to others that are using the area. I have stopped driving in the hills in this area simply because I am tired of crawling over a hill to find people shooting in my direction. Not to mention the amount of spent shells littering the area. I am sure the extensive shooting in this area is helping to push this to be a closed area. A shame.

Real Name
    Cole
    Quote Originally Posted by 69cj5 View Post
    Can't say I am happy about this potentially closing wheeling spots, but the gun use in this area (eagle canyon/hungry valley area) has gotten seriously out of control and is dangerous to others that are using the area. I have stopped driving in the hills in this area simply because I am tired of crawling over a hill to find people shooting in my direction. Not to mention the amount of spent shells littering the area. I am sure the extensive shooting in this area is helping to push this to be a closed area. A shame.
    Same with the southern portion of Hungry Valley going over into Golden Valley and the north end of Sun Valley. Went and scouted the cleanup area yesterday and it was ridiculous. On a Tuesday. I can only imagine the fiasco this Saturday will be for the cleanup. Maybe they will see the crowds and stay out. I have really come to hate shooters. And I am one, just a responsible one.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Will
    Not sure why you would think the colony will do anything to clean up the area or keep out the riff-raff. Have you seen the way most of the res's look? Trash all over the place, signs shot full of holes and broken beer bottles everywhere. Maybe the Pyramidxtribe is clean, but the Schurz and Faloon ones sure arent.
    Some people are as useful as a football bat.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by WILLD420 View Post
    Not sure why you would think the colony will do anything to clean up the area or keep out the riff-raff. Have you seen the way most of the res's look? Trash all over the place, signs shot full of holes and broken beer bottles everywhere. Maybe the Pyramidxtribe is clean, but the Schurz and Faloon ones sure arent.
    They likely wont clean it, but they do patrol their areas somewhat and doubt they will allow extensive shooting that close. Most will find another spot if the tribe hassles them. It is not uncommon to see maybe 10 separate parties shooting in all directions off Eagle Canyon just over the hill.