Thread: Whats your game?

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Charlie

Whats your game?

Ive sort of wandered from wheeling lately, although not everything is lost. After a couple of fix it items like upper front control arms and fixing my two engine leaks I want to hit the trails again when spring comes.

Until then I have switched gears and have been playing USPSA. My friend at work is a Grand Master and talked me into shooting my first match in June. Yea I suck but since you don't win anything anyway I only have room for improvement. I say 'playing USPSA" because its just a shooting game. I joined the Western Nevada Pistol League and have been shooting every month with my brother and up to 70 other really great people. Check out WNPL.org for details. We shoot the second Sunday out at the Washoe Co Regional shooting range on Pyramid Hwy. You don't have to be a member to shoot. Fee is $30 for non members, $25 for members. Required gear varies depending on division. Bring our own eyes and ears for everyone including spectators. Ladies, Junior and senior shooters are encouraged. The ladies rock. Ive been shooting Carry Optics with a slightly modded Glock 34. Most of us shoot 9mm. Reloaders are more than welcome as you can shoot minor or major power factor. (velocity * bullet weight /1000). You earn more points for major (above 165pf) than minor (<125pf ). Average number of rounds required is around 185. There are basic firearm rules. Its a cold range, no firearm handling except under the direction of the RO (range officer) or at the safety tables. No ammo at the safety tables. No loaded firearms untill you are directed to "load and make ready". There is the 180 rule (basically gun always down range) and don't sweep yourself or anyone else. I think its a lot more fun and safer than lighting the hills on fire or getting shot by some other shooter behind you. We have more targets than you can carry and setup. With 6 stages the fun starts at 8:30a with a safety brief and lasts till the end of match raffle around 3pm.

Unfortunately for me this is a young mans game. 20 years ago I could have made Grand Master. Now if I waddle fast enough I might be able to make C class. Winter isn't the warmest time to compete in this sport but its a blast.

So whats your game besides wheeling?
    N7TJX

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Glen
    I've been shooting IDPA off and on... really don't feel like driving from Minden to Pyramid to do USPSA. Since I'm a grumpy old guy, I amble through the stages and concentrate on good shooting to keep my skills up. For those who aren't familiar with IDPA, it tries to be a little more "real world" than USPSA, requiring shooting from concealment most of the time and rules of engagement that foster good real world habits. The safety rules are very similar to USPSA and there's plenty of help and support for the new or inexperienced shooter. Since I've been working for a firearms manufacturer, though, shooting has gotten to be too much like work and I don't do it as often.

In the meantime, I've taken on a new XJ project; recently it's gotten a new windshield and battery, now just have to find the oil leak so it stops pretending it's the Exxon Valdez.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
    I've been shooting IDPA off and on... really don't feel like driving from Minden to Pyramid to do USPSA. Since I'm a grumpy old guy, I amble through the stages and concentrate on good shooting to keep my skills up. For those who aren't familiar with IDPA, it tries to be a little more "real world" than USPSA, requiring shooting from concealment most of the time and rules of engagement that foster good real world habits. The safety rules are very similar to USPSA and there's plenty of help and support for the new or inexperienced shooter. Since I've been working for a firearms manufacturer, though, shooting has gotten to be too much like work and I don't do it as often.

In the meantime, I've taken on a new XJ project; recently it's gotten a new windshield and battery, now just have to find the oil leak so it stops pretending it's the Exxon Valdez.
    Where do you shoot those IDPA matches?

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    I did USPSA for a year or two. Single Stack major. It was a lot of fun. I only did the Reno and Fallon matches. Seemed like a good group of people except for one or two I just didn't seem to like. Seemed like they were right and knew more than anyone else. I enjoyed planning out stages and having to do it different than the guys shooting limited, or more than 8 rounds.

Now I just run a lot more than shoot. Heck, I run more than I wheel because I run daily.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevr View Post
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

Wheeler
    Real Name
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyChemist View Post

Now I just run a lot more than shoot. Heck, I run more than I wheel because I run daily.
    There is counseling available for that, a multi-step program as I understand it....

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Charlie
    I try to run
    Then I give out.
    N7TJX

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    John
    What kind of holster can a newb get away with running at WNPL shoots? I shot a few steel matches back with the Stillwater club, they let me get away with a cheap plastic paddle type as long as it didn’t cant forward and kept my barrel straight down.
    Only wheeled Kia Sorento in Nevada on 31's.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    I used a Blackhawk for Fallon and WNPL with the same requirements. It doesn’t have to be fancy. It has to be functional. If it has a trigger lock the lock has to work. If it’s leather just make sure you have a good belt to support the weight of a gun and holster. Bring a lot more ammo than you think you’ll shoot because running out sucks. Make your goal to learn and have a good time the first time you go. Oh and let them know it’s your first time when you sign in. They’ll set you up with a good squad.
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Charlie
    Just about any holster and mag pouches, I started with a LAG holster. As long as its outside the wasteband you're probably ok. Bring 3 or 4 mag pouches. No pocket carry
    N7TJX

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by DJRENO View Post
    There is counseling available for that, a multi-step program as I understand it....
    The problem with those multi step programs is they're full of runners, or people with addictive personalities, and runners already drink enough as it is. Mostly it is easier to run for an hour on lunch than get over to Prison Hill and wheel for an hour. Both are fun ways to explore though.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Will
    I decided to be a more involved husband and Dad. Now, wheeling is just a remote hobby that I get to do once or twice a year. Hopefully that will change soon. My kids and I both miss wheeling but school and older grandparents are a priority.
    Some people are as useful as a football bat.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Glen
    Where do you shoot those IDPA matches?
    In Carson. They'll be on hold for a while as the City overhauls the range. Their website is https://www.nnidpa.com/

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Jed
    I did USPSA for about 10 yrs. Made 'B' in Production and Limited. Shot Area 1, Golden bullet, and USPSA Nationals. Having kids and new house projects have taken up many of my weekends and I only got to one this year (2019). My skills had also plateaued, and I didn't have the time/money resources to devote to make 'A', which took some of the fun out of it.

Its a fun sport and will significantly improve your shooting skills. I recommend it to anyone.

For variety also try out the steel, rimfire, and bowling pin matches at WNPL and/or Stillwater. I've also done a few of the Short Range Rifle matches and had fun with them.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
    In Carson. They'll be on hold for a while as the City overhauls the range. Their website is https://www.nnidpa.com/
    Thanks for the link. I'm not optimistic the City will do a very good job managing the range given their track record over the last couple of years. It is suspected by many that they would rather close it and allow the expansion of the land fill.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    Thanks for the link. I'm not optimistic the City will do a very good job managing the range given their track record over the last couple of years. It is suspected by many that they would rather close it and allow the expansion of the land fill.
    It isn't an expansion of the landfill. it is more homes. Complaints of stray bullets didn't start coming in until the new developer started getting close to finishing his project.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    John
    Contributing to the OP’s question: my game lately has been fatherhood. I’ve got two girls, ages 6 and 2. Just when I thought I’d figured out a hobby/family balance with the first, we chose to have the second and I’ve struggled with feeling guilty on taking time for myself. The Kia sits far more than I’d like now that we have a 7 seat family car, but I’m holding on to hope that I can get back into all my hobbies more regularly (either bringing the kids along or going solo).

Here’s to 2020 letting me wheel more, shoot more, get out and enjoy Nevada’s landscape more.
    Only wheeled Kia Sorento in Nevada on 31's.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyChemist View Post
    It isn't an expansion of the landfill. it is more homes. Complaints of stray bullets didn't start coming in until the new developer started getting close to finishing his project.
    I don't disagree. It's one or the other. Today CC announces the range was being closed for "lead decontamination". That was never mentioned in the task force meetings regarding the range. Sounds like prep to sell it to a developer. Very disappointing. That was a good place to shoot, especially after the CRPC took over RSO duties.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrey123 View Post
    Contributing to the OP’s question: my game lately has been fatherhood. I’ve got two girls, ages 6 and 2. Just when I thought I’d figured out a hobby/family balance with the first, we chose to have the second and I’ve struggled with feeling guilty on taking time for myself. The Kia sits far more than I’d like now that we have a 7 seat family car, but I’m holding on to hope that I can get back into all my hobbies more regularly (either bringing the kids along or going solo).

Here’s to 2020 letting me wheel more, shoot more, get out and enjoy Nevada’s landscape more.
    Yeah I have a 2 year old and I’m learning more and more how much hey wants to do stuff and I need to find time. If it’s a hobby the girls can join in on that’s great. It’s also good to have a hobby that’s just for you to go out and do.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Charlie
    2020 is the year of "more" fun. With my daughter in the masters program at UNR its more of a financial obligation. So this year my brother and i have resolved to make more ammo and sign up to shoot some bigger matches. We chose the Oregon State championship in Bend OR and the sectionals in July/August. By that time maybe ill be a C class!
    Last edited by CharlieMan; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:39 AM.
    N7TJX

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Clint
    I too have been wheeling less. On the bright side after 17 years off I've started playing hockey again. It's kicking my ass but I love it!
    "Bird Law in this country is not governed by reason. You absolutely can't own a hummingbird, but you can however keep a gull as a pet. You don't wand to live with a seabird though, it'll blast your ear drums out."

Real Name
    Kevin
    Why did you stop for that link, McNasty? Injuries?

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Clint
    Quote Originally Posted by Maginnis View Post
    Why did you stop for that link, McNasty? Injuries?
    I played pretty competitively from age 14-19, sometimes being on as many as three different travelling teams at once. After high school I played in Canada for a summer. I just kind of got burned out. Then when I came home I got busy with life, and school, and a job. I always thought about playing again and this year a friend convinced me to play on his team, as they needed a goalie.

The first few practice were rough, but I'm so glad I'm playing again. It's amazing how fast the muscle memory and game-play come back. I'm not as fast or as flexible as I used to be, but I'm getting better. Sorry for the long answer, talking about hockey gets me excited!
    "Bird Law in this country is not governed by reason. You absolutely can't own a hummingbird, but you can however keep a gull as a pet. You don't wand to live with a seabird though, it'll blast your ear drums out."

I support Reno4x4!
    Trying to get rig trail ready. Custom stroker engine failed and builder skipped town. Was AFU after 6000 easy miles. Then discovered many frame cracks in desperate need of attention. Tim and Scot helping fux that. Upgrading steering to PSC components.

Then get back on dirt... fingers crossed.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    www.hillsangels4x4.com. Plankowner
    Life Member Blue Ribbon Coalition
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore