Thread: Metal Shop Errection

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Chris

Metal Shop Errection

I've been looking at having a metal shop put up behind my house. I wanted a stick built but it seemed cost prohibitive so i called a couple of metal building erectors. We have plenty of property and looking at 30'x50'.

Local guy came out, measured and split. 2 weeks of pushing him and he finally sends me a quote of $102,986. No details, just a letter saying estimated total.

I'm not metal building expert but I priced them out and see the shop I want in the 12k to 16k range. Concrete for the shop alone is is 1500 sq feet of concrete and should run me $6 to $8 a foot so 12k for concrete. So 74k-ish for putting the shop up and electric work?

I'm thinking this is a "Fuck you I don't want to do it bid" What says everyone else?

I support Reno4x4!
    Value-added pricing. He supplies coffee, donuts while shouting BOHICA
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    www.hillsangels4x4.com. Plankowner
    Life Member Blue Ribbon Coalition
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    Sounds to me like he doesn’t want the job...
    Are you opposed to putting it up yourself? I understand if you don’t have time and would rather pay someone to just get it done. But I got mine done for about 10k doing everything myself. It’s about half the size of what you are looking to build, but it was easy enough

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Kanin
    I completely agree, I have been running into the same issue trying to find someone to build a shop whether it be stick built or metal.
    In my opinion I think its due to the economy right now, there is so much construction job opportunity currently that they can pick and choose their jobs to make sure its worth their time.

We were going to get a stick built garage attached to the house which was originally quoted and accepted at 32K then later on had to be increased to 50ishK and this was 8 months later after agreement had been signed and the job hasn't even been started yet. So we opted out of the build.

Also got a quote for a 4" thick 20'x24' cement pad for 16K !!!! Ended up get a couple buddies and doing it ourselves for around $1500.

I think its time to put on some big boy pants and build my own Garage...

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Chris
    I'm not opposed to putting it up myself. And after that quote, that's what i'm going to be doing. Just figured if I could pay a local guy to get it done and save me some time it would be easier. But not at sort of premium.

I quoted out the building from the same supplier before I even contacted the local guy, The building supplier recommended him as a possible local installer. I had already talked to 2 different concrete guys and gotten quotes on total price. So I had some idea of what I was looking at. Just about fell over when I saw the quote that's for sure. hahaha

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
    I completely agree, I have been running into the same issue trying to find someone to build a shop whether it be stick built or metal.
    In my opinion I think its due to the economy right now, there is so much construction job opportunity currently that they can pick and choose their jobs to make sure its worth their time.

We were going to get a stick built garage attached to the house which was originally quoted and accepted at 32K then later on had to be increased to 50ishK and this was 8 months later after agreement had been signed and the job hasn't even been started yet. So we opted out of the build.

Also got a quote for a 4" thick 20'x24' cement pad for 16K !!!! Ended up get a couple buddies and doing it ourselves for around $1500.

I think its time to put on some big boy pants and build my own Garage...
    hahahaha Right!

My dad is a general contractor in Santa Barbara and has been threatening to move up here for years to start a NV business. I need to show him this thread and help convince him to make the move

TroubleShooter
    Real Name
    Denis
    I had a stick built garage (24x34) done couple years ago for half that.
    Reno4x4Garage.com - custom fabrication and CNC plasma services - 771-2734

Killing time murders opportunities.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    He doesn't want to do it and I can tell you that because you had to track him down for two weeks to get the quote. You're going to cost him a day doing another bigger job. Record low unemployment means there is a lot of work going on and the small $16,000 job for a week isn't worth it when you could do a $50K job.
    I know two small business owners. One says they were telling people "you can wait a year and I will do it for X. If you need it done it's going to be 2X and a couple months out." People were paying the 2x on top of more money to pretty much be moved up the list. Great for the owner who is hiring more people, buying more equipment, feeding the economy, etc. Second business owner says "na I am too busy" when they just don't really want the job and hears "oh that is okay. We will wait."
    I wanted my backyard landscaped because I was tired of failing for three years at trying to grow a lawn or have things work. Moana nursery told me "we don't even show up for less than $20k." I spent $9 and there were 2-5 guys in my back yard for 8-9 hours a day for a week or more.
    So if you can build it yourself for $16K go for it. Like Shinobi said, he did his work for 1/10 the price. It was probably 10 times the effort of signing a check.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevr View Post
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Call my dad, we did a ton of steel buildings back when I still worked for him. He's the type of guy who'd tell you if it wasn't in your best interest and his for him to do it. John @ Vaughn & Sons Construction 775-324-1935

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Aaron
    If you pour your own pad, usually the steel buildings you buy will include the labor and erection.

Plus, in my line of work. If there is so much work going on and you don't have the time or manpower to do a job. You throw shit against the wall and see if its sticks to make it worth your while to hire more guys.
    "Science without Religion Is Lame, Religion without Science Is Blind" - Albert Einstein

Real Name
    z
    Quote Originally Posted by GloNDark View Post
    I've been looking at having a metal shop put up behind my house. I wanted a stick built but it seemed cost prohibitive so i called a couple of metal building erectors. We have plenty of property and looking at 30'x50'.

Local guy came out, measured and split. 2 weeks of pushing him and he finally sends me a quote of $102,986.
    You could shop around and hire different people instead general contractor.
    I just finished stick build few months ago, 36x50, 2x6 walls, concrete roof tiles and stucco exterior, 2 garage doors (10' tall double and 8' single). I did wall insulation, sheetrock/paint and electrical myself. It was under 100K. $35k out of that was for slab because I had to fill dirt and do couple retaining walls (built on hill).

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by solja4jc View Post
    If you pour your own pad, usually the steel buildings you buy will include the labor and erection.

Plus, in my line of work. If there is so much work going on and you don't have the time or manpower to do a job. You throw shit against the wall and see if its sticks to make it worth your while to hire more guys.
    This is probably why he was told $100k. Three guys to build it for a $30k/year salary and the business owner gets them for the rest of the year. Either that or he has a LOT of bills to pay.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevr View Post
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

RENO4X4 supporter
    Real Name
    Ted
    Hi Chris,
    I am interested in talking to you about building your garage. I am a licensed, bonded and insured (local) contractor and all my subs are licensed and insured.
    Even though I am very busy now, you won't have to hunt me down and I won't lead you on. If I can't help you, I don't mind referring others that might be able to.
    Ted. (TEDco Construction)
    775-8 for six -2024 cell

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mark
    ebay has a lot of those steel building kits on it starting at like 11-16k (shipping might be expensive).