Thread: Xj over heating

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Aaron

Xj over heating

I know the XJ's have a crappy cooling system that is not designed for off-roading. While i was out yesterday, my temps got to uncomfortable for me and had to stop and let the engine cool. My question for those XJ owners out there. Did you install louvers? Are they a good idea?

Ive already replaced the leaky radiator, flushed the entire system, both the clutch fan and electric fan work properly. Just trying to get some of that radiating heat from under the hood out.

Temps stay fine when out driving around, but under off-road circumstances it started to overheat because I wasn't getting airflow through the radiator.
    "Science without Religion Is Lame, Religion without Science Is Blind" - Albert Einstein

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    I think the 4.0L is already too much engine for the XJ just by the heat it gives off. You could swap the clutch fan for an electric fan, and maybe run the heater but other than wheeling less at idle or low speeds with high RPMs I don’t think there is anything to solve the heat problem. I’ve read Lou era actually don’t help or do anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevr View Post
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Aaron
    All it would do is get the heat out from the engine bay, thus delaying the over heating. I'm also considering putting a 2000+ electric fan to replace the current one and also have a bypass switch so I can have it run before the sensor tells it to. Just for off roading purposes and turn the fan back on to "sensor mode" when I get back on the road.
    "Science without Religion Is Lame, Religion without Science Is Blind" - Albert Einstein

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Warren
    I've got a '93 XJ. I put small louvers on the hood just because. Some heat does escape. The Jeep gets hot only in the summer (when it's 85 degrees or hotter) when offroad. It has an old stock factory radiator, and the small auxiliary cooling fan that I sometimes switch on if it hits 210 degrees.

You might make sure you're not running too much anti-freeze. You want enough for our weather conditions, but too much and it won't cool properly. You could also try blowing out the radiator with lots of water to make sure it's able to cool. I also run around in low range all the time, where the water is able to circulate more and hopefully dissipate the heat better. The heater on high does make a great secondary cooling system.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Nick
    What temp is “uncomfortable” to you? I would double verify everything in the cooling system is working properly. Do you have a fan shroud?
    You can usually find a “severe duty” or “towing” fan clutch that is tighter than the stock clutch, you might try that.
    Next you could try hood louvers, or try an auxiliary engine oil cooler to take some heat out there...

I would also double check ignition timing, incorrect timing can build a lot of heat

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Jed
    There is a heavy duty radiator available from Chrysler that solves the issue for some. Its spendy though.

My 93 runs hot on hot days with the AC on. I've tried better/different fans, hood vents, new radiator (not the chrysler one), 'high performance' water pump, 180d tstat, new cat, etc. Each one has helped a little bit. In my case, and maybe yours, the real culprit is likely a bad head gasket.

I support Reno4x4!
    A fan shroud will make a huge difference...
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Albert Einstein

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    www.hillsangels4x4.com. Plankowner
    Life Member Blue Ribbon Coalition
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Aaron
    soooo it seems as though I may have a bad head gasket. Who in town is familiar with this engine and can change it for me? I know that the Head might have to be resurfaced/ new head if it is cracked.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Scott
    YouTube. I believe NickInTime has a good video. A lot of stuff comes off but it doesn’t look too intimidating. Good time to replace the bolts with new ARP ones from Summit Racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdevr View Post
    Wow, this thread is like a ping pong match with 8 players on an octagonal table. Pointless and dizzying...

Real Name
    Dave
    Stock cooling system is fine for offroading. 1. Make sure shroud is in perfect shape. 2. Replace fan clutch with the heavy duty version of the ZJ clutch. Your clutch is probably worn out. They appear OK, but won't spin fast enough to cool properly. Switch to the newer curved blade Efan is yours is the older model. I was convinced by all the forum experts that the XJ cooling system is bad. That's simply garbage. Number 2 and 3 are all it needs to work well. No need for vents, etc.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Jed
    I put the ZJ clutch in mine and tried an aftermarket larger e-fan. No/minimal difference. Keeps it extra cool when temps are low, but going uphill on a hot day and it gets hot fast.

Was your fluid sludgy/rusty? That can be a sign of a bad head gasket. There are also headgasket test kits.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Didnt look sludgy or rusty, but wasnt clearly the same bright green that was put in there to begin with.